1. 完全倒装
Here comes the bus.
公共汽车来了。
Round and round flew the plane.
飞机盘旋着。
Among these people was his friend Jim.
他的朋友吉姆就在这些人当中。
Standing beside the table was his wife.
站在桌旁的是他的妻子。
2. 部分倒装
How are you doing?
你情况怎么样?
Why didn't you come?
你为什么没来?
Never have I read such a book.
我从未读过那样的书。
Only in this way can you do it well.
只有通过这种方式你才能做好。
3. 条件句中的倒装
Were I Tom (= If I were Tom), I would refuse.
如果我是汤姆,我就会拒绝。
Had I realized that (= If I had realized that), I would have done something.
我要是明白了这一点,我可能会采取一些行动。
Had you worked hard (= If you had worked hard), you would have finished it early.
要是你工作努力的话,你应该早就完成了。
Should you require anything (= If you should require anything), just give me a call.
如果你需要什么,给我打个电话就行了。
4. 状语从句中的倒装
Clever though he was, he couldn't conceal his eagerness for praise.
虽说他很聪明,却不能掩饰他对获得赞扬的渴望。
Strange though it may seem, the tallest boy is the youngest.
虽然说来奇怪,这个最高的男孩却是最年轻的。
Try as he might, he couldn't open the box.
不管他想什么办法,都没法把那箱子打开。
Search as they would, they could find no one in the woods.
尽管他们努力搜寻,在林子中都找不到一个人。
vt. 隐藏,隐瞒,掩盖