LESSON 84 MY MOTHER'S PICTURE
第八十四课 我妈妈的画像
Oh that those lips had language! Life has passed with me but roughly since I heard them last.
那些亲切的话语啊!自从我听到他们仙逝后,生活伴随我走过。
My mother, when I learned that thou wast dead, Say, wast thou conscious of the tears I shed?
我的母亲,当我得悉你已经撒手人寰,说,你意识到我洒下的泪水了吗?
Hovered thy spirit o'er thy sorrowing son, Wretch even then, life's journey just begun?
悲戚萦绕着你的儿子,尽管那样,这个可怜的人,生活的旅程刚刚开始吗?
Perhaps thou gavest me, though unfelt, a kiss, Perhaps a tear, if souls can weep in bliss.
也许你给我的是冰冷的一吻,也许是眼泪,如果芸芸众生能在祝福中涕泪。
Ah, that maternal smile! it answers — Yes! I heard the bell tolled on thy burial day; I saw the hearse that bore thee slow away;
啊,那充满母爱的微笑!它能回答一切——是的!在下葬那天我听到丧钟慢慢敲响;我看到令你厌烦的灵车缓缓而去;
And, turning from my nursery window, drew a long, long sigh, and wept a last adieu!
从我那育儿室的窗前转过,发出长长的叹息,哭着做最后的诀别!
But was it such? It was. Where thou art gone, Adieus and farewells are a sound unknown.
是这样凄凉吗?是的。在你要去的地方,诀别和再见是一种未知的声音。
May I but meet thee on that peaceful shore, the parting word shall pass my lips no more.
唯愿我能在那静谧的海滨与你相见,分离的话语不再从我唇边流出。
Thy maidens, grieved themselves at my concern, Oft gave me promise of thy quick return;
你的女仆们为我的处境悲戚,经常向我保证你很快就会回转;
What ardently I wished, I long believed; And, disappointed still, was still deceived;
我热切地期盼,我一直这么认为;失望依旧,依旧蒙在鼓里;
By expectation, every day beguiled, Dupe of tomorrow, even when a child.
每天都陶醉在期望中,明天还在欺骗,即使是一个孩子。