SCENE — The Inn. Enter HOSTESS followed by LAMPEDO, a Quack Doctor.
幕启——小旅店。女店主在蓝裴多后上场,一位江湖庸医。
Hostess says: Nay, nay; another fortnight.
女店主说:不,不;得两个星期。
Lampedo says: It can't be. The man's as well as I am: have some mercy!
蓝裴多说:那可不行。这人还有我,发发慈悲吧!
He hath been here almost three weeks already.
他来这儿已经三个星期了。
Well, then, a week. We may detain him a week.
哦,还有一个星期。我们也许得耽搁他一星期。
(Enter BALTHAZAR, the patient, from behind, in his nightgown, with a drawn sword.)
(患者巴尔萨扎尔从后场上,穿着睡衣,拿着一把刀。)
You talk now like a reasonable hostess, That sometimes has a reckoning with her conscience.
你现在说的话真像一位通情达理的女店主,有时候得凭良心。
He still believes he has an inward bruise.
他还以为自己有内伤呢。
I would to heaven he had! or that he'd slipped His shoulder blade, or broke a leg or two,
蓝裴多我祈祷上帝但愿他有!不然他就跑了。他肩膀有刀伤,或者折了一条或两条腿,
(Not that I bear his person any malice,) Or luxed an arm, or even sprained his ankle! Ay, broken anything except his neck.
(我说这话可没有什么恶意。)或者胳膊脱臼,甚至脚踝扭伤!除了脖子外,伤到哪儿都可以。
However, for a week I'll manage him, Though he had the constitution of a horse — A farrier should prescribe for him.
当然,我有一个星期时间可以设法对付他呢。尽管他是一匹体格健壮的马,可是一副马蹄铁总适合他的。
Balthazar says( Aside. ): A farrier! To-morrow, we phlebotomize again; Next day, my new-invented patent draught;
巴尔萨扎尔说(站到一边):马蹄铁!明天,我们再抽血;后天,用我新发明的专利;
Then, I have some pills prepared; On Thursday, we throw in the bark; on Friday— (Balthazar Coming forward.)
然后,我会给你开一些药片的。星期四,我们附带用树皮;星期五——巴尔萨扎尔(到前场)
Well, sir, on Friday — what, on Friday? Come, Proceed.
哦,先生,星期五——星期五怎么?请说明白。