Cromwell, I charge thee, fling away ambition: By that sin fell the angels; how can man, then, The image of his Maker, hope to win by it?
克伦威尔,你一定要听我的,抛开野心;天使们就是野心太大而堕落的,而人不过是他的创造主的影像,怎能寄望通过野心而获得胜利?
Love thyself last: cherish those hearts that hate thee; Corruption wins not more than honesty.
爱自己到最后才最善,珍爱那些憎恨你的人吧,比起腐败来诚实会为你赢得更多。
Still in thy right hand carry gentle peace, To silence envious tongues.
在你的右手里永远举着温顺的和平枝,杜绝嫉妒之舌。
Be just, and fear not: Let all the ends thou aim'st at be thy country's, Thy God's, and truth's;
做人要公正,不要畏惧;你所要达到的一切目的都是为你的国家、这也是上帝和真理所要达到的目的,
then, if thou fall'st, O Cromwell, Thou fall'st, a blessed martyr!
此后倘若你还是失败了的话,克伦威尔,你也将是受到祝福的殉难者。
Serve the king; And, prithee, lead me in: There, take an inventory of all I have, To the last penny;
去为国王效劳吧。还有,请你领我进去:把我所有的一切直到最后一个便士都列一份清单,
't is the king's: my robe, And my integrity to Heaven, is all I dare now call mine own.
这些都是国王的。我敢说我自己的财产只剩下这件袍子和我对上帝的一片诚心了。
O Cromwell, Cromwell! Had I but served my God with half the zeal I served my king,
啊,克伦威尔,克伦威尔!如果我把为国王效劳的热诚,用一半来侍奉我的上帝,
He would not in mine age Have left me naked to mine enemies.
他也不会在我垂暮之年把我赤条条地留给我的敌人了。
Good sir, have patience.
好大人,忍耐些吧。
So I have. Farewell The hopes of court! my hopes in Heaven do dwell.
我除了忍耐还能怎样。别了在宫廷中晋身的希望,我的希望在天国里。