But whatever may be our fate, be assured—be assured that this Declaration will stand.
无论我们命运如何,我敢担保,请放心,这份独立宣言将会生效,
It may cost treasure, and it may cost blood; but it will stand, and it will richly compensate for both.
或许为此耗费巨大,或许会有众多流血牺牲;但它一定会生效,并势必极大地弥补以下两点:
Through the thick gloom of the present I see the brightness of the future as the sun in heaven.
透过眼前的血腥晦暗,我看见未来光明,如同天堂的明媚阳光;
We shall make this a glorious, an immortal day.
今天将留存于史,光荣不朽的一天。
When we are in our graves, our children will honor it.
一旦我们走进坟墓,子孙后代将以此荣耀,
They will celebrate it with thanksgiving, with festivity, with bonfires, and illuminations.
他们将以感恩心情、节日欢腾、以篝火与斑斓灯饰庆贺这一伟大神圣时刻的到来。
![declaration of independence declaration of independence](http://pic.kekenet.com/2017/0829/81121503993500.jpg)
On its annual return they will shed tears,—copious, gushing tears;
每逢周年纪念日,孩子们将泪如雨下;
not of subjection and slavery, not of agony and distress, but of exultation, of gratitude, and of joy.
他们并非为专制或奴隶制伤悲,并非为极端痛苦或窘迫贫穷哭泣,而是难以抑制的狂喜,难以言谢的感恩,还有难以表述的满腔畅快淋漓。
Sir, before God I believe the hour is come.
先生们,在上帝面前,我相信这一时刻即将到来。
My judgment approves the measure, and my whole heart is in it.
我的判断为权衡时事提供依据,与此同时,我也全身心为此奋斗,
All that I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope in this life, I am now ready here to stake upon it;
包括我的所有财富,我的所有存在,我生活中的所有希冀,我已做好准备为此赌注;
and I leave off as I began, that, live or die, survive or perish, I am for the Declaration.
一旦开始,万劫不归,或者说,生存抑或死亡?苟存抑或毁灭?皆为系此一念。我将为《独立宣言》存活于世,
It is my living sentiment, and, by the blessing of God, it shall by my dying sentiment; independence now, and INDEPENDENCE FOREVER.
它构成我生命的感喟悲伤,面对上帝祝福,它亦将成为我死亡的唏嘘,现在独立,意味独立永远。