Oh, a horse is soon curried, and my son Sam shall attend to it at once.
哦,给马梳洗很快就能完成,而且我儿子山姆马上就可以来做。
Yes, very likely; but I this moment recollect the creature has no shoes on.
是的,很可能;但是此时此刻我才想起,这个家伙还没有马掌呢。
Well, is there not a blacksmith hard by?
那么,附近不是有个铁匠铺吗?
What, that tinker, Dobson? I would not trust such a bungler to shoe a goat.
什么,那个小炉匠多布森?我都不相信那么个笨手笨脚的人会给山羊钉掌。
No, no; none but uncle Tom Thumper shall shoe my mare.
不,不,其他人都不行,只有汤姆.萨姆皮尔大叔能够给我的灰马钉掌。
As good luck will have it, then, I shall pass right by his door.
好运气啊,我正巧会路过他家门口。
Calling to his son. Tim, Tim! here's neighbor Derby, who wants the loan of the gray mare, to ride to town today.
喊他儿子,蒂姆,蒂姆!我们的邻居德比来了,他今天想借灰马去镇上。
You know the skin was rubbed off her back, last week, a hand's breadth or more.
你是知道的,上周灰马背上擦破了皮,有一掌多宽。
Gives Tim a wink. However, I believe she is well enough by this time.
朝蒂姆眨了眨眼睛,但是,我想它现在应该好了。
You know, Tim, how ready I am to oblige my neighbors;
蒂姆,你是知道的,我是多么愿意帮助邻居。
indeed, we ought to do all the good we can in this world.
事实上,我们应该在世界上尽可能地多做善事。
We must certainly let neighbor Derby have her if she will possibly answer his purpose.
如果灰马能适合他的需要,我们当然会把它借给德比。
Yes, yes; I see plainly by Tim's countenance, neighbor Derby, that he's disposed to oblige you.
是的,是的。德比,我明显地看到了蒂姆的表情,他不同意借给你。
I would not have refused you the mare for the worth of her.
我原本不会因为一匹灰马的价值而回绝你。
If I had, I should have expected you to refuse me in turn.
如果我这么做了,我反过来应该期待你来拒绝我。
None of my neighbors can accuse me of being backward in doing them a kindness whenever it is possible.
没有任何一位邻居指责我,说我在可能帮到他们忙时打退堂鼓。
Come, Tim, what do you say?
行了,蒂姆,你要说什么?
Tim. What do I say, father? Why, sir, I say that I am no less ready than you are to do a neighborly kindness.
我说什么,爸爸?为什么,先生,我是想说我和您一样愿意为邻居提供帮助做好事。
But the mare is by no means capable of performing the journey.
但是灰马真的无法完成这次行程。
About a hand's breadth, did you say?
您不是说大概有一掌多宽么?
Why, sir, the skin is torn from the poor creature's back the bigness of your broadbrimmed hat!
先生,那个可怜的家伙背上的皮肤撕裂了宽檐帽那么大一片!
And, besides, I have promised her, so soon as she is able to travel, to Ned Saunders, to carry a load of apples to market.
再说,我也已经答应奈德·桑德斯了,一旦它能上路,就借给他运一批苹果去市场。
Do you hear that, neighbor? I am very sorry matters are thus.
听到了吗,我的邻居?我非常抱歉事情是这样。
I would not have disobliged you for the price of two such mares.
就算是两匹灰马的钱,我也不会拒绝帮助你。