My watch always gains ten minutes a day.
我的手表总是每天快十分钟。
Jane: My watch always gains ten minutes a day.
简: 我的手表总是每天快十分钟。
Mary: That's funny. My watch always loses ten minutes a day.
玛丽: 真有趣。我的手表总是每天慢十分钟。
Jane: No kidding.
简: 别开玩笑。
Mary: I'm serious. Every morning I set my watch by the radio, but it still loses ten minutes.
玛丽: 我是认真的。每天早上我按广播调表, 但它仍慢十分钟。
Jane: You know what you can do?
简: 你知道你能做什么吗?
Mary: Throw it away and buy a new one?
玛丽: 扔掉它,买一个新的吗?
Jane: No, you don't have to. You only need to set your watch forward ten minutes every day.
简: 不,不必。你只需每天把你的表拨快10分钟。
Mary: So you set your watch back ten minutes every day?
玛丽: 你每天把你的表拨慢十分钟了吗?
Jane: Yeah, that's what I'm doing.
简: 是的,我每天都这样做。
Mary: Why bother? Just buy a new watch. It doesn't cost much. Besides, I just can't put up with this thing any more.
玛丽: 何苦呢?只是买一块新手表。成本也不高。另外,我只是不能再忍受这种东西了。
WORD BANK
词语回顾
gain v.(钟、表等)快;增加
lose v.(钟、袁等)走慢;遗失
No kidding 别开玩笑。
serious adj.严肃的;认真的
set v.拔准(钟表);设置
put up with… 忍受,容忍