abandon sb to sth
to leave sb, especially sb you are responsible for, with no intention of returning
(不顾责任、义务等)离弃,遗弃,抛弃
The baby had been abandoned by its mother.
这个婴儿被母亲遗弃了。
The study showed a deep fear among the elderly of being abandoned to the care of strangers.
研究表明,老人十分害怕被丢给陌生人照管。
trick
欺骗;欺诈
I'd been tricked and I felt stupid.
我被人骗了,觉得自己真傻。
He managed to trick his way past the security guards.
他想方设法骗过保安员走了。
in the first place
used at the end of a sentence to talk about why sth was done or whether it should have been done or not
(用于句尾,谈论某事为何或是否应该做)究竟,到底,当初
I still don't understand why you chose that name in the first place.
我仍不明白,你究竟为什么取了这么个名字。
I should never have taken that job in the first place.
我当初就不该接受那份工作。
promise
promise sth to sb
promise sb sth
to tell sb that you will definitely do or not do sth, or that sth will definitely happen
许诺;承诺;答应;保证
The college principal promised to look into the matter.
学院院长答应研究这个问题。
'Promise not to tell anyone!' 'I promise.'
"你要保证不告诉别人!" "我保证。"