What is it?
是什么?
It was a thought I had on the train, so.... Okay. All right.
是我在火车上想到的,这么说吧。
Do you believe in reincarnation?
你相信轮回转世吗?
Yeah. Yeah, it's interesting.
是的,那很有意思。
Most people, you know, a lot of people talk about the past lives, and things like that, you know.
很多人都谈论前世这一类的话题。
And even if they don't believe in it in some specific way, you know, people have some kind of notion of an eternal soul, right?
哪怕在特定的场合他们并不相信这一点......人们相信灵魂是永存的。
Yeah. Okay.
是的。 那好。
Well, this is my thought: 50,000 years ago there's not even a million people.
我的想法是,5万年前人口还不足100万。
Ten thousand years ago, there's, like, two million people.
一万年前有大约200万人口。
Now there's between five and six billion people on the planet.
现在世界上有50到60亿人口。
If we all have our own individual, unique soul, right, where did they all come from?
如果我们都有属于自己的,独立的,特别的灵魂,那他们是从何而来的呢?
Your know. Are modern souls only a fraction of the original souls?
现代人的灵魂只是原有灵魂的一部分吗?
Because if they are, that represents a five thousand to one split of each soul in just the last fifty thousand years, which is like a blip in the earth's time.
因为如果是的话,就表示每个灵魂在过去5万年分裂成了5000个,对地球而言只是一瞬间。
You know, so, at best, we're like these tiny fractions of people, you know, walking...
我们最多只是人类史上微不足道的一部分。
I mean, is that why we're all so scattered? You know, is that why we're all so specialized?
所以我们才这么分散?所以我们才这么独特?
Wait a minute, I'm not sure.
等等,我不太确定。
Yeah, I know, I know. It's a totally scattered thought. Which is kind of why it makes sense.
是的,我知道,这完全是不着边际的想法。不过这样才有点意义。
I agree with you.
我同意。
Let's get off this damn train.
我们还是下车吧。