Gossip Girl,《绯闻女孩》
A: Hi. I bought you a little something to wear tonight.
甲:嗨,我给你买了点今晚可以佩戴的东西。
B: Oh, thank you. Oh, it's beautiful.
乙:哦,谢谢。哦,真漂亮。
A: Blair helped me pick it out. As I recall, purple was your father's favorite color, too.
甲:布菜尔帮我选的。我记得紫色也是你父亲最喜欢的颜色。
B: Actually, I only wear purple because my father loathed it.
乙:实际上,我穿紫色衣服就是因为我爸最讨厌这个颜色。
A: Oh, Or maybe that's what he wanted you to think. Bart was playing with people's heads all the time. Are you all right? Is it the lawsuit?
甲:哦,也许他就是想让你有这样的错觉吧。巴特总是把人搞蒙。你没事吧?在想诉讼的事?
B: Not the lawsuit, but, uh, who may be behind it. My uncle Jack just arrived in town.
乙:不是诉讼的事,而是在想那个幕后指使的人。我的叔叔杰克不久前到市区来了。
A: Sounds like Jack. Will he be going to the party tonight?
甲:是杰克的作风。他今晚会去派对吗?
B: Uh, he's not invited, but he is a cockroach, and they tend to slip in through the cracks.
乙:额,我没请他,不过他会跟一只小强一样,从缝里钻进我的派对。
A: Charles, um... your uncle and I... we have history. It's ugly history.
甲:查尔斯,嗯……你叔叔和我……我们以前有点过节。搞得很不开心。
B: Look, I'm not going to let Jack determine who can and can't come to my party.
乙:听着,我才不会让杰克来决定谁去或者不去我的派对呢。
A: I'm sorry, Charles. I don't know if I have the strength to deal with him and meet your family at the same time. I hope you understand.
甲:对不起,查尔斯。我不确定我是否有力气在见你家人的时候还要领及他,我希望你能理解。
B: I understand perfectly. But since I can't spend the evening with you, stay for a while. Have a drink.
乙:我非常理解。不过既然今晚我不能陪你了,那你再待会儿吧。喝杯东西再走。
A: Of course.
甲:当然可以。