We just have the time for one last question.
我们的时间只够问最后一个问题了。
What is your next book?
你下一本书将是什么?
I don't know, man. I don't know. I've been...I've been thinking about this.
我不知道,老兄,我真的不知道。我一直...一直在考虑这个构思。
Well, I always kind of wanted to write a book that all took place within the space of a pop song.
我总是想写本书,一切都发生在一首流行歌曲那么长时间内。
You know, like three or four minutes long, the whole thing.
总共大概3到4分钟吧。
The story, the idea, is that there's this guy, right? and he's totally depressed.
整个故事大概是说有个男人,他非常的沮丧。
I mean, his great dream was to be a lover, an adventurer, you know, riding motorcycles through South America.
他最大的梦想就是拥有一段轰轰烈烈的爱情,做个冒险家,比如开着摩托游遍南美。
And instead he's sitting at a marble table eating lobster.
He's got a good job and a beautiful wife, right? but he didn't...You know, everything that he needs.
他有份不错的工作,有位漂亮的妻子,他却...你懂吧,其实他该有的全有了。
But that doesn't matter, because what he wants is to fight for meaning.
但是这并不是他真正想要的,因为他真正想要的是为某种价值而战。
You know? I mean, happiness is in the doing, right? Not in the getting what you want.
你明白吗?快乐源自于过程。而不是因为你得到了你想要的东西。
So he's sitting there, and just that second, his little 5 year old daughter hops up on the table.
总之他坐在那里,突然间,他五岁的小女儿跳上了桌子。
And he knows that she should get down, because she could get hurt.
他知道她该下来,因为她可能会受伤。
But she's dancing to this pop song in a summer dress.
但是她正穿着夏日的裙子,随着那首流行歌曲翩翩起舞。
And he looks down and all of a sudden, he's 16.
然后一晃眼,突然间,他回到了十六岁。
And his high school sweetheart is dropping him off at home.
他的高中女友正送他回家。
And they just lost their virginity, and she loves him and the same song is playing on the car radio.
而他们刚刚度过了他们的初夜,她很爱他。而汽车收音机里播放着的正是那首歌曲。
And she climbs up and starts dancing on the roof of the car. And now he's worried about her.
然后他女友爬上了车顶,开始在那里跳舞。这一下,他开始很担心她。
And she's beautiful, with a facial expression just like his daughter's.
她很那么美,表情也竟然和他女儿一模一样。
In fact, you know, maybe that's why he even likes her.
事实上,这可能就是他为什么很宠爱女儿的原因。
You see, he knows he's not remembering this dance, he's there. He's there, in both moments, simultaneously.
你懂吗,他清楚自己不是在回忆那段舞蹈,而是他真的就在那里,他同时出现在人生的两个场景之中。
And just for an instant, all his life is just folding in on itself. And it's obvious to him that time is a lie.
就在这一瞬间,他整个人生对折了起来。对他来说,时间明显是个谎言。