Hennessy: She did?
亨尼西:她是这样说的吗?
Joe: Well, she thought that there'd be two effects.
乔:嗯,她认为可能有两种影响。
Hennessy: Two.
亨尼西:两种。
Joe: The direct and indirect.
乔:间接影响和直接影响。
Hennessy: Remarkable.
亨尼西:不错。
Joe: Naturally she thought that the indirect may not be as direct as the direct. At least not right away. Later on, of course, well, nobody knows.
乔:她认为间接影响不可能会像直接影响那样直接,至少不会是即时的影响,是以后的事,嗯,无人知道。
Hennessy: Welt, well, well. That was a shrewd observation. They fool you, you know these Royal kids. They've got a lot more on the ball than we suspect. How did she feel about the future friendship of nations?
亨尼西:好,好,好,好精辟的见解。你知道,这群皇家孩子蒙骗了你。他们在舞会上得到的内情比我们猜测的要多得多。那她对各国未来的关系有何看法?
Joe: Youth. She felt that the youth of the world must lead the way to a better world.
乔:年轻人。她认为年轻人是世界的未来,必须往美好的方向发展。
Hennessy: Original. By the way, what was she wearing?
亨尼西:真有创意。顺便问一下,她今天穿什么衣服?
Joe: You mean, what did she have on?
乔:你是说,她穿什么?
Hennessy: Well, that's usually what it means. What's the matter, is it a little warm in here for you.
亨尼西:噢,通常就是这意思。怎么了?这里太热了?
Joe: No, no just hurried over here.
乔:不,不,我只是刚赶回来。
Hennessy: Oh, that is sure with a story of these dimensions. Did you say she was wearing gray?
亨尼西:噢,当然还带来一个诸如此类的故事。你是说她穿着灰色吗?
Joe No, I didn't say that.
乔:不,我没那样说。
Hennessy: Well, she usually wears gray.
亨尼西:噢,她通常穿灰色的衣服。
Joe: Oh, well... er... it was a kind of a gray.
乔:噢,这个……呃……是一种灰色。
Hennessy: Oh, I think I know the dress you mean. It has a gold collar.
亨尼西:噢,我想我知道你指的那种衣服,是有金领的那种。
Joe: That's the one. I didn't know exactly how to describe it, but that's it.
乔:就是这种,我不知该如何描述才确切,但就是这种。
Hennessy: I think you described it very well. In view with the fact that our Highness was taken violently ill at three o'clock this morning, put to bed with a high fever and has had all her appointments for today canceled in total!
亨尼西:我认为你描述得很好。可鉴于事实,我们的公主殿下今天凌晨3点身患重病卧床不起,今天的活动全部取消!
Joe: In total...
乔:全部……
Hennessy: Yes, Mr. Bradley, in total.
亨尼西:是的,布拉德利先生,是全部。
Joe: Certainly pretty hard to swallow.
乔:真是难以置信。
Hennessy: In view of the fact that you just left her, of course. But here it is, Mr. Bradley. All over the front page of every newspaper in Rome!
亨尼西:鉴于你说的刚离开她的事实,当然会这样。不过,布拉德利先生,请看看罗马各家报纸的头版吧!
Joe: All right, all right. I overslept. It can happen to anybody.
乔:好了,好了,我睡过头了。谁都可能这样。