发现了让自己动心的网友正是街角书店老板后,犹豫了一阵的Joe还是出现了。不过,他依旧不改嘲讽,刻薄的讲话方式,这让既气愤又无可奈何的Kathleen居然一反常态的与其针锋相对起来。
Joe: Kathleen Cally, Hello. This is a coincidence. Would you mind if I sat down? 真巧。介意我坐下吗?
Kathleen: Yes, I would, actually. I'm expecting someone. Thanks. 是的,事实上我介意。我在等人。
Joe: Pride and Prejudice. 《傲慢与偏见》。
Kathleen: Do you mind… 你可否
Joe: I bet you read that book every year. I bet you just love that... Mr. Darcy. Your sentimental heart beats wildly at the thought he and...whatever her name is are truly, honestly going to end up together.介意吗?我打赌你每年都看这个。你一定很喜欢那个达西先生。一想到他和那个叫什么的,能够真实的,忠诚地最后相守,你那多愁善感的心就会猛跳。
Can I get you something? 想要喝点什么?
Kathleen: He's not staying. 他不坐这儿。
Joe: Mochaccino decaf, nonfat. 一杯卡布奇诺,无热量,低咖啡因。
Kathleen: You are not staying! 你不能坐这儿。
Joe: I'll stay until your friend gets here. Is he late? 你朋友一来我就走。他迟到了?
Kathleen: The heroine of Pride and Prejudice is Elizabeth Bennet. She is one of the greatest and most complex character. Not that you would know. 《傲慢与偏见》的女主角是最伟大,最复杂的角色之一。你怎么可能明白。
Joe: As a matter of fact, I've read it. 事实上,我已经看过这本书了。
Kathleen: Good for you. 对你是件好事儿。
Joe: You'd discover a lot things if you really know me. 如果你真的了解我,会发现很多。
Kathleen: If I really knew you I know what I'd find you, instead of a brain, a cash register. Instead of a heart, a bottom line. 如果我真的了解你,就会知道,你的心就是一个收银机;你的心就是一本账簿。
Joe: What? 怎么了?
Kathleen: I just had a breakthrough. 我刚刚突破了。
Joe: What is it? 什么意思?
Kathleen: I would thank you for the first time in my life, when confronted with a horrible, insensitive person...I knew exactly what I wanna to say, and I said it. 我想我该谢谢你。我这一辈子第一次在见到坏人,麻木不仁的人时能把想说的说出来。
Joe: Well, I think you have the gift for it. That's a perfect blend of poetry and meanness. 我想你在这方面很有天赋。这是诗歌和恶毒的完美结合。
Kathleen: Meanness. Let me tell you something about meanness. 我恶毒。我来告诉你什么叫恶毒。
Joe: Don't misunderstand. I'm paying you a compliment. 别误会。我只是想称赞你。
Kathleen: Oh, why are you touching that. What are you doing? 你干嘛碰它。你在干什么?
Joe: Is this a red rose? No, it's a crimson rose. Something you read in a book. 玫瑰吗?不,深红色的玫瑰。是你在书里读到的?
Kathleen: It's funny to you, isn't it? Everything is a joke to you. 对你来说很可笑,是吧?对你来说什么都是笑话。
之前在面对Joe的咄咄逼人时,Kathleen都是只能张着嘴,气愤地看着对方,却说不出一句话来。这一次,用Kathleen的说法,she had a breakthrough. Breakthrough“突破性进展”。 这一次,终于突破自我了,在面对terrible, insensitive糟糕的人,麻木不仁的人时,能说出心里想说的话。她称如果了解对方,会发现I'd find you, instead of a brain, a cash register. Instead of a heart, a bottom line。发现你的大脑是个收银机,你的心,是一个账本。a bottom line, 除了“底线”,还有“账本盈亏结算”的意思。这里就指“账本”。
Joe当然不示弱,说能做到这点是诗和恶毒的完美结合。并说他这样的评价是pay a compliment. 这个短语表示“恭维”。再比如:When you cannot get a compliment in any other way pay yourself one. 当你别无它法获得称赞之时,就自己称赞自己。
两个人的针锋相对还没结束。到底谁会在这场唇舌之战中获得最后胜利呢?敬请关注下期影音时尚口语。