1. dare (to) do sth. 敢于做某事
Don't you dare do him the slightest harm!
不准你动他一根毫毛。
No one dare to tangle with him.
没人敢和他争吵。
情景对话:
A: That boss was indeed capable. 那个老板很有能力。
B: Yes, he created an atmosphere in which people dare to criticize and argue. 是的,他创造了一个人们敢于批评,敢于争论的气氛。
2. pass over sb./sth. 忽略某人或某事
You may pass over the details.
你可以把细节略去不谈。
We mustn't pass over his mistakes.
对他的错误不能迁就。
情景对话:
A: I forgot to tell you that your mother wanted you give her a call this afternoon. 忘了告诉你,下午你妈妈说让你给她打电话。
B: How could you pass over such an important matter? 你怎么能忽略如此重要的事情?
3. lose one's mind 发疯,神经不正常
Robert lost his mind and was committed to an insane asylum.
罗伯特神经错乱,给送进了疯人院。
I’m afraid Mary may lose her mind.
我担心玛丽会精神错乱。
情景对话:
A: I must fall in love with her. 我一定是爱上她了。
B: Really? 真的吗?
A: Yeah, I lose my mind just standing next to her. 和她站在一起我意乱情迷。
4. wonder at...对...感到吃惊
I wonder at your patience.
你的耐心使我惊异。
I wonder at her perennial youthfulness.
我对她青春常驻感到惊讶。
情景对话:
A: John impressed me much. 我对约翰印象不错。
B: Do you? 真的?
A: Yes, I wonder at his learning. 是的,我对他的学识感到惊讶。