1. hold still 静止不动
How can I take your picture if you don't hold still?
你身子老是动,我怎么给你照像?
Hold yourself still for a moment while I take your photograph
我给你拍照的那一刹那, 你不要动。
情景对话:
A: The wound still hurts. 伤口还在疼。
B: If youd hold still, it wouldn't hurt as much! 如果你不动就不会那么疼了!
2. in need of 需要
The brickwork in this house is in need of repair.
这所房子的砖造部分需要修理。
If you are in need of anything, don't hesitate to let me know.
如果你需要什么,尽管对我说。
情景对话:
A: What did the doctor said about your sick? 关于你的病情,医生说什么了?
B: He told me I was in need of a good rest. 他说我需要好好休息。
3. sth. be the business of sb./sth. 做某事是某人(某物)的职责;
It is the business of the manager to train the workers for suitable jobs.
培养工人以适合做合适的工作是经理的事。
When pleasure is the business of life, it ceases to be pleasure.
当享受成为生活的主要事务时,它就不再是一种享受。
情景对话:
A: What do you think of war? 你怎么看待战争?
B: It's the business of barbarians. 战争是野蛮人干的事。
4. mean to 意欲,打算
I didn't mean to take a taxi but I had to, as I was late.
我虽然不想坐计程车,但因为太迟了所以非坐不可。
Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you.
对不起,我不是故意吓唬你的。
情景对话:
A: Why did he say that? 他为何那么说话?
B: He only meant to threaten us. 那只是想威胁我们罢了。
5. take sth. seriously 严肃对待某事,相当于deal seriously with;
He was joking. Don't take it seriously.
他是跟你闹着玩儿的, 你别当真。
They take their responsibilities seriously.
他们认真对待自己的职责。
情景对话:
A: Are you kidding? 你不是在开玩笑吧?
B: Absolutely not, I'm taking it seriously. 当然不是,我是认真的。
6. take advantage of 利用,趁...之机,占...的便宜
It never occurred to me to take advantage of him.
我决没有想到过要占他的便宜。
You should take advantage of it.
你应该好好利用这个机会。
情景对话:
A: I dislike that man! 我不喜欢那个人。
B: Why? 为什么?
A: He has always been taking advantage of my youth and ignorance. 看我年幼无知,他老是占我的便宜。