1. as...as...“和...一样”,两个as之间用形容词或副词;
Your pen writes as smoothly as mine.你的钢笔书写起来和我的一样流畅。
She looks as pretty as before.她看起来和以前一样漂亮。
情景对话:
A: How about his spoken English? 他的英语口语怎样?
B: As fluent as yours. 跟你的一样流利。
2. out of control “不受控制”;out of one's control “是某人控制不了的,在某人的控制之外”;
The children are out of control.
管不住这些孩子了。
Inflation has got out of control.
通货膨胀失去了控制。
We are of different department, so I'm out of your control.
我们属于不同的部门,所以你是管不了我的。
情景对话:
A: The boys are so noisy, is it out of your control? 这些孩子们真闹,你难道管不了了吗?
B: Probably so. 我想是的。
3. point of view “观点,看法,见解”;
I have some sympathy with that point of view.
我比较赞成这种看法。
If one has an open mind, it is easy to appreciate another's point of view.
如果一个人思想开放,就不难接受他人的观点。
情景对话:
A: He is really a obstinate man. 他真的很固执。
B: What do you mean that? 你这是什么意思?
A: It's so difficult to persuade him to accept the point of view of others. 让他接受别人的意见可真难。
4. in case “万一”,是连词,后面接条件状语从句;
Take a hat with you in case the sun is very hot.
倘若太阳很利害,你就把帽子戴上。
Write the telephone number down in case you forget.
把电话号码写下来以免忘了。
注意与in case of的区别,后者中的of是介词,后面只能带名词性质的词,比如名词、代词等,in case of 和in case意思相近,都是“差不多,万一”的意思;
In case of rain they can't go.
万一下雨,他们就不能去了。
In case of fire, ring the alarm bell.
如遇失火,请按警铃。
情景对话:
A: What will you do this afternoon? 下午你准备做什么?
B: Shopping in Carrefour, so in case in case you need something, please let me know. 去家乐福购物,你想要什么东西,跟我说一声。
5. You are kidding? 你在开玩笑吧?
You are kidding me? 你在跟我开玩笑吧?
No kidding! 别当我小孩子耍了!
No kidding at all. 我一点也没开玩笑。
I was only kidding. 我不过是在开玩笑。
6. turn out”结果是...“;
Things didn't turn out like that.
情况并不是那样的。
If the day turns out wet we may have to change our plans.
万一下雨的话,我们也许得改变计划。
情景对话:
A: How about the party, did it go smoothly? 晚会进行得顺利吗?
B: It turned out to be very successful. 开得很成功。