183.Finding Men,Pt. 2
183.寻找男人(2)
A week later, while asking for a certain reference book at the reference desk,
一周之后,当她在参考书服务台借一本参考书时,
Marge bumped into a man who smiled very nicely at her.
马吉碰到了一位男士,他很友好地冲她一笑。
She didn't want to read too much in the smile, but she couldn't help thinking that he might be a nice date!
她不想凭推断在他的笑中加进太多意思,但她禁不住认为他可能是个不错的约会对象!
Then she looked at the books he was holding. "Oh, are you reading up on home improvement?" she asked.
然后她看了看他手里拿的书。"哟,你在研究家庭改造?"她问。
"Kind of. I'm building a recreation room in my basement
"可以这么说,我正在我家地下室建一个娱乐室,
so I thought I would refer to the experts to see what my options were.
所以我想我可以咨询一下专家看我有哪些选择。
I tell you, though it's harder than I thought! Nothing is ready to my hand and I'm going to hand it over to a contractor!
不过我告诉你,这件事比我想象得要难!我手边没什么可用的东西,我准备把它交给一个承包商!
But they're not very reasonably priced!" "Oh, no! Keep trying yourself. I do all my home repairs from manuals?" Marge responded.
可他们的报价不公道!""啊,别给他们!你一定要自己试试。我就照着说明书进行所有的家庭维修,"马吉回答说。
"Just read through everything you can find and you will certainly reap the know-how from one of them!
"你就好好读一读你能找到的书,肯定会从其中一本找到答案!
What are you going to put in your recreation center?"
你准备在你的娱乐中心放些什么?"
"The usual: a pool table, TV, CD player, record player ..." "A record player?" Marge said energetically.
"就是些普通的东西:一个台球桌、电视、CD机、电唱机……""电唱机?"马吉兴致勃勃地问。
"I haven't seen one of those since my mother threw my old one away! I was rebelling against her too much, I guess," Marge paused.
"自从我母亲把我的那台旧电唱机扔掉之后,我就没看到过一个电唱机!我猜是我对她太反感了,"马吉停了一下。
"Wow! I forgot about all of that. I was reduced to tears for weeks! I'm not sure I've recovered from her discipline even today!"
"哇!我把那些全给忘了。我哭了好几个星期!即使是今天,我也不能肯定我已经从她的训导中恢复过来!"
The man laughed. "You're funny!" he said. "My name's Homer. I sell real estate."
那位男士笑了。"你太有意思了!"他说。"我叫荷马。我是卖房地产的,"
He laughed again. "So I'm good at selling homes, but not fixing them up!"
他又笑了笑。"所以我卖房子很有一套,但维修房子却不怎么样!"
"Shhhh," the librarian said. "Whoops," Homer whispered,
"嘘!"图书管理员说。"哎哟,"荷马小声说道,
"would you like to step out for a cup of coffee?" "Sure," Marge replied with a smile.
"你愿意出去喝杯咖啡吗?""没问题。"马吉笑着回答。