144.An Arranged Marriage
144.婚姻不能自主
As Mark opened his locker he looked around the locker room to make sure no one was listening.
马克打开衣物柜时朝更衣室四周看了看,确认没有人在偷听。
Then he asked Brad, who was standing next to him.
然后问站在他旁边的布拉德:
"So are you serious about marrying that movie star, Gwenyth?"
"这么说和影星格温妮丝结婚你是当真的?"
Brad looked Mark straight in the eyes and replied "No! It's part of this plan for free publicity before our new movie opens!"
布拉德直视马克回答说:"不是的!这是我们的新电影上演之前免费广告计划的一部分。"
"Ouch! You know she loves you! She thinks finding a good man is like looking for a needle in a hey stack! And you're the one!"
"唉!你知道她是爱你的!她认为找一个好男人就像大海捞针一样!而你就是她眼里的好男人!"
Brad looked away from Mark.
布拉德转头看着别处。
"I don't feel good about it, either! But my agent told me to look beyond her feelings and look after my career!
"这件事我也觉得不好!可我的经纪人告诉我不能只顾她的感情,要关乎我的事业!
He said I could look forward to years of attention if I stayed engaged to her for even a month!"
他说哪怕只和她相处一个月,我预计也会被注意好几年!"
"But she thinks it's for real!" Mark said.
"可她认为你们的爱情是真的!"马克说。
"And as long as I say it is,it will be! Don't look down on me because of this, okay?
"只要我说是,它就是!别因为这件事看不起我,好吗?
And who knows, maybe she will also be the girl I've been looking for and I'll learn to love her!"
谁知道,也许她也是我一直寻找的人,我将学会爱她!"
"I hope so. But you'd better look before you leap! Get to know her a little better!"
"希望如此。但你最好三思而后行!对她加深一点儿了解!"
"Yeah. I'll make a long distance call to her later!" Brad sighed.
"是的。一会儿我就去给她打个长途电话!"布拉德叹着气说。
"Your agent sure is a jerk!" Mark said.
"你的经纪人肯定是个蠢货!"马克说。
"They're all like that! They make these horrible suggestions and then tell you not to look back on all the people you had to step on to become famous!
"他们都是那样!他们总是出些馊主意,让你不要回忆那些成名路上你不得不粗暴对待的人!
It makes me long for the old days when I represented myself!" "Why don't you do that again?"
这真让我渴望回到从前我能代表自己的日子!""那你为什么不再次代表自己呢?"
"I'm stuck with him for the next three years! It's in his contract!" "Ouch again!"
"我三年之内都要听他摆布,他的合同里是这样写的!""我的妈呀!"