98.The Woes of Being Rich
98.有钱也心烦
"Give me a break, Tom! Are you complaining about winning the lottery?" Tom's mom asked.
"得了吧,汤姆!你在抱怨中了彩吗?"汤姆的母亲问。
"Yeah. I almost want to give back all the money.
"是的,我几乎都想把所有的钱还回去了。
It gave birth to a whole new life that I don't like! Really.
它给我带来的新生活我一点儿也不喜欢!是真的。
No one is willing to give me a hand anymore because they think now I only give myself airs just because I won 50 million dollars!"
现在谁都不愿意帮我的忙了,因为他们认为我中了5000万就会摆架子!"
"Stop your whining, and give priority to your older friends.
"别哼哼唧唧的了,优先考虑你那些老朋友吧。
The new ones only want you to give away your money to them?"
那些新朋友只想你把钱送给他们。"
"I tried. But it's like being rich has given me a bad name or something.
"我试过。可我觉得有钱好像坏了我的名声似的。
They won't return my calls because they're angry I didn't give off any money to them!"
我给他们打电话,他们却不给我打电话,因为我没有分给他们钱,他们生气了。"
"Oh. I see. What about your friends at work? Are they giving themselves over to greed as well?"
"原来是这样。你那些在上班的朋友呢?他们也一样放任自己、贪得无厌吗?"
"Sure. I thought it would give credibility to still being a normal guy by refusing to give notice,
"那当然。我还以为不发通知,仍然做我的普通人会让他们信任我呢,
but they still treat me differently too.
可他们还是对我另眼相看。
Money changes everything. It gives rise to the most selfish actions of people.
金钱改变一切。它导致人们做出最自私的事来。
I hate it! It's like they gave me just enough rope to hang myself with!"
我最讨厌这样了!就好像他们在任我为所欲为而自作自受!"
"Well, then, why don't you give out some money to all your friends?"
"既然这样,为什么不把你的钱分给朋友们一些呢?"
"I did that, too. They just wanted more!
"我也给了。可他们想要更多的钱!
I wish someone would just give me a line on how to get through this!"
我真希望有人告诉我如何处理好这件事!"
"Now, now. Don't give in to the pressure.
"好啦,好啦。不要屈服于压力。
I'm sure your true friends will eventually come around. Just wait a while, you'll see."
我相信真正的朋友最后会回到你身边的。 等一段时间你就会知道的。"
"Thanks, mom. I'll do that! But it sure is lonely being rich!"
"谢谢您,妈。我会照您的话去做!可有钱肯定会让人孤独! "