Now read the passage from a psychology textbook. You have 50 seconds to read the passage.
请阅读这篇选自心理学课本的文章。你有50秒的时间阅读文章。
Now listen to part of a lecture on this topic in a psychology class.
现在请听心理学课上关于这个话题的部分内容。
Let's take an everyday example, an ordinary round plate like you'd find in a kitchen.
我们从日常生活中举个例子吧,比如说一个普通的圆盘子,就是你能在厨房找到的那种。
If you hold the plate directly in front of your face and look at it, what shape do you see?
如果你直接把这个盘子放在脸前面并看着它,那么你看到的是什么形状呢?
A perfect circle, right? Suppose you tilt the plate to a different angle,
一个完美的圆,对吗?假设你把盘子倾斜至另一个角度,
to a horizontal position, like you're planning to put food on it, still a perfect circle?
一个水平位置,就像你打算把食物放上去一样,这时你看到的还是一个完美的圆吗?
No! The circle is now stretched out, flattened into an oval.
不是!这个圆现在已经展开变平,成了一个椭圆了。
Do you conclude the plate has actually changed shape?
那么,你能说这个盘子实际上已经变形了吗?
Or that it's a different object, not the same plate?
或者这是另外一个东西,不是同一个盘子了?
Of course not! It looks different, but we perceive it as still being the same.
当然不能!它虽然看起来不一样,但是我们知道这还是同一个盘子。
Here's a different example. This classroom we're in. It's fairly large, right?
再举一个不同的例子。我们现在所在的教室很大,对吧?
Now, from up close, from the front row,
对坐在前排的同学来说,
I appear to be relatively big, bigger than if you're in the last row, right?
我看起来比较大,比坐在最后一排的同学看见的我要大一些,是不是?
But let's say you're sitting in the front row today but tomorrow you're sitting in the back row.
我们假设今天你坐在前排,但是明天你坐在后排。
From back there I'm going to look smaller, but you don't think I've actually gotten smaller.
从后面的位置看起来我比较小,但是你不会觉得我真的变小了。
You don't think you're seeing a different professor, a guy who looks like me except he's smaller.
你不会觉得你看见的是另一个教授,一个长得和我很像只是比我小一些的教授。
No matter where you are, up close or far away,
无论坐在哪个位置,前面或者最后,
you understand without even thinking about it, that I'm the same size, the same person.
你不用想都知道我的身材还是一样,我还是那个我。