Good evening, everybody.
大家晚上好。
Today we are delighted to have invited Jim Johnson, a gapyear.com's spokesperson, to talk about gap year.
今天,我们很高兴邀请到吉姆·约翰逊,gapyear.com的发言人,来谈论间隔年。
So whether you're currently deciding whether a gap year is for you or you're just feeling itchy to decide what to do with it, you are welcome to join us.
所以,无论你现在是在纠结要不要有一个间隔年,还是你不知道间隔年该做什么,都欢迎你加入我们。
Well, Jim. Thanks. I'm very pleased to meet you all.
吉姆。谢谢。很高兴见到大家。
Now let me first ask you a question.
现在我先来问你个问题。
Why should young people be thinking seriously about taking a gap year?
为什么年轻人应该认真考虑有一个间隔年呢?
Well, I get asked this question all the time.
嗯,总是有人问我这个问题。
People will tell you that a gap year boosts your CV, that it makes you more employable, or that it either prepares you for a life at university.
人们会告诉你,间隔年会提升你的简历,让你更有就业能力,或者让你为大学生活做好准备。
Well, this is the case, but I find not enough people put an emphasis on just how amazing a gap year really is.
事实确实如此,但我发现很多人忽视了间隔年的神奇之处。
Uh, it's a life changing experience, and it's unbelievable how much fun you can have on a gap year.
它是一次改变人生的经历,在间隔年你能享受到令人难以置信的乐趣。
So what is the best thing about taking a gap year?
那么,间隔年最美好的是什么呢?
I think taking a gap year is like making a journey.
我觉得间隔年就像旅行一样。
It's an education, an exploration and an adventure.
这是一次教育、一次探索和一次冒险。
You learn so much about exotic cultures and traditions, their culinary art, their political system, their religion.
你会学到很多关于异国文化和传统、他们的烹饪艺术、政治制度和宗教方面的知识。
In each new location, you are learning more and more.
每到一个新地方,你都会学到越来越多的东西。
And that also adds more value to yourself, which is the best thing, I think.
这也会让你更有价值,我觉得这是最棒的。
What did your gap year involve?
你的间隔年做了什么?
I travelled for two years through Central Asia, Southeast Asia, and Australia, you know, backpacking, volunteering and moonlighting abroad.
我在中亚、东南亚和澳大利亚旅行了两年,背包旅行、志愿服务和在国外兼职。
So I had a pretty comprehensive gap.
所以我的间隔年过的非常丰富。
To put it simple, it was the best two years in my life.
简单地说,那是我一生中最美好的两年。
It can be difficult to decide what to do and where to go on your gap year.
决定间隔年做什么、去哪里是件难事。
So what advice would you have for people finding it tricky?
那么,对于那些觉得这很难的人,你有什么建议吗?
Good question. The most important thing is research and planning.
问得好。最重要的是调研和规划。
That is, sit down with a map and a sheet of paper, list where you want to go and why.
也就是说,要坐下来,拿着地图和一张纸,列出你想去的地方和原因。
Maybe even throw in a pros and cons column.
或许还可以做一个赞成和反对的对比表。
Others may advise talking to friends with some experience of gap year or browse some online forums, which I personally would not highly recommend.
其他人可能会建议与有一些间隔年经验的朋友交谈,或者浏览一些在线论坛,我个人不太建议这样做。
Don't choose what is the best out there, but what is most appropriate for you.
不要选择最好的,而要选择最适合你的。
Okay, let's move on to another question.
好的,我们来看下一个问题。
Which project would you do if you were taking a gap year?
如果你要休学一年,你会做什么项目?
I'm a bit of a diving nut. So I would go for the Madagascar Marine Conservation and Diving Project.
我是个潜水狂。所以,我会去参加马达加斯加海洋保护和潜水项目。
It's got everything you want.
那里有你想要的一切。
It's relatively cheap, especially when you consider what you're getting, and you get to learn all about marine conservation.
它相对便宜,尤其是考虑到自己的收获,你能学到所有关于海洋保护的知识。
Oh, and it's in Madagascar, one of the best places to go diving in the world.
哦,而且是在马达加斯加,世界上最适合潜水的地方之一。
Do employers or universities care what you've done on your gap year?
雇主或大学会在乎你在间隔年做了什么吗?
Yes, they really do.
是的,他们会在乎。
If you're studying veterinary science and you volunteer on a wildlife conservation project, then that can really boost your CV and experience levels by doing so.
如果你学的是兽医学,而且参加了野生动物保护项目的志愿者,这么做真的可以提升你的简历和经验水平。
Recently, at gapyear.com, we conducted a survey asking HR professionals whether a gap year makes a job applicant more employable.
最近,在gapyear.com上,我们对人力资源专业人士进行了一项调查,询问间隔年是否会让求职者更有竞争力。
63% agreed that a constructive gap year, either just a few months or a year sharp spent volunteering or gaining work experience overseas, makes your job application stand out.
63%的受访者认为,建设性的间隔年会让你的求职申请脱颖而出,无论是花几个月还是一年的时间做志愿者或在海外获得工作经验。
So the evidence is there.
这就是明摆着的证据。
This is the end of Part One of the interview.
访谈的第一部分到此结束。
Questions 1 to 5 are based on what you've just heard.
根据刚刚听到的内容,回答1至5题。
Question 1.What is Part One of the interview mainly about?
问题1.访谈的第一部分主要是关于什么的?
Question 2.According to the man, why should young people think seriously about taking a gap year?
问题2.根据这名男子,年轻人为什么要认真考虑休学一年呢?
Question 3.What does the man say about the best thing of taking a gap year?
问题3.关于休学一年最棒的地方,男子说了些什么?
Question 4.What is the man's advice for young people before they start a gap year?
问题4.在年轻人开始间隔年之前,男子对他们有什么建议?
Question 5.According to the man, what kind of gap year experience do employers care most?
问题5.根据男子的说法,雇主最关心的间隔年经历是什么?