以选择 rare,medium 或 well-done。
▲I am under the weather. =I am not feeling well. 我不太舒服!
▲May I take a rain check? 可不可改到下次?(例如有人请你吃饭,你未能赴约,只好请他改到下一次。)
▲I am not myself today. 我今天什么都不对劲!
▲Let's get it straight. 咱们把事情弄清楚!
▲What's the rush! 急什么!
▲Such a fruitcake! 神经病!
▲I'll swing by later. =I'll stop by later. 待会儿,我会来转一下。
▲I got the tip straight from the horse's mouth. 这个消息是千真万确的(tip指消息)!
▲easy as pie = very easy = piece of cake 很容易。
▲flunk out 被当掉。
▲take french leave 不告而别。
▲I don't get the picture. =I don't understand. 我不明白。
▲You should give him a piece of your mind. 你应该向他表达你的不满。
▲hit the road = take off = get on one's way 离开。
▲Now he is in the driver's seat =He is in control now.
▲Keep a low profile (or low key). 采取低姿态。
▲Kinky =bizarre =wacky =weird 古怪的。
▲klutz (=clutz) =idiot 白痴、的笨蛋。
▲know one's way around 识途老马。
▲lion's share 大部份。
▲tailgate 尾随(尤其跟车跟得太近)。
▲take a back seat. 让步。
▲take a hike =leave me alone =get lost 滚开。
▲hit the hay =go to bed 睡觉。
▲Can you give me a lift? =Can you give me a ride? 载我一程好吗?
▲green hand 生手、的没有经验的人。
▲moonshine = mountain dew 指私酿的烈酒(威士忌)或走私的酒。胡说八道也可用moonshine。His story is plain moonshine.
▲chill out =calm down =relax(来自黑人英语)
▲rip off =steal;I was ripped off.我被偷了;rip off 也常被用为“剥夺”My right was ripped off. 权利被剥夺(来自黑人英语)。
▲我们称美国大兵为G.I. (Government Issue) or GI Joe, 德国兵或德国佬为Fritzor Kraut,称英国佬为John Bull,日本人为Jap.或Nip,犹太人为Jew都是很不礼貌的称呼。
▲mess around (with)瞎混;Get to work. Don't mess around.赶快工作,别瞎搅和。
▲snob 势利眼。
▲sneak in,sneak out 偷偷溜进去,溜出来。sneakers 运动鞋。
▲She is such a brown-noser. 她是个马屁精。
▲This is in way over my head. 对我而言这实在太难了。
▲I am an exam jitter and I always get a cramp in my stomach. 我是个考试紧张大师,一考试胃就抽筋。
▲Keep your study (work) on track. 请按进度读书(工作)。
▲Did you come up with any ideas? 有没有想到什么新的意见?
▲Don't get uptight !Take it easy. 别紧张,慢慢来!
▲Cheese ! It tastes like cardboard. Cheese吃起来味如嚼腊!
▲Get one's feet wet. 与中文里的“涉足”或“下海”,寓意相同,表示初尝某事。I am going to try dancing for the very first time. Just to get my feet wet.