ACT I
Hi, Mom. 嗨, 妈妈。
Hi, Robbie. 嗨,Robbie。
You're home from school early. 你今天从学校回来得很早。
Yeah, they're getting the assembly hall 是啊,他们在布置大礼堂
ready for the graduation ceremony, 为毕业典礼做准备,
so we all got to go home early. 所以我们都非得早回家不可。
Too noisy to study. 太吵了书看不下去。
Well, now that you're here, 嗯,既然你回来了,
you can help me with dinner. 你就来帮我准备晚餐。
I need those potatoes peeled and sliced. 那些马铃薯需要剥皮切片。
Mom, give me a break. 妈,让我喘口气。
Alexandra's coming over to help me Alexandra就要来帮我
study for my math final. 温习数学准备期末考试。
Well, in that case, 嗯,既然这样,
you can wash the dishes and clean up after dinner. 你就在晚餐后洗盘子,收拾桌子。
Can I invite Alexandra to stay for dinner? 我可以请Alexandra留下来吃晚餐吗?
Of course. 当然可以。
Thanks, Mom. 谢谢,妈。
You and Alexandra 你和Alexandra
have become good friends, haven't you? 成了好朋友,不是吗?
Yes. I like her. 是的,我喜欢她。
She's a terrific person. 她人很好。
I'm going to miss her 我会想念她
when she goes back to Greece. 当她回去希腊时。
Would you like to give her a little farewell party? 你要不要为她举行一个饯行派对?
Mom, that would be terrific! 那太棒了,妈!
Maybe we could make it a surprise. 也许我们可以让它变成一个惊喜。
Oh, I don't know. 噢,这个我就不知道了。
Surprise parties don't always work out. 惊喜派对不是每次都能成功的。
Well, we could tell her 嗯,我们可以告诉她
it's a graduation party for me. 这是为我毕业所办的派对。
When Alexandra arrives, 等Alexandra到达时,
we'll surprise her. 我们再让她惊喜一下。
Well, I suppose that might work. 嗯,我想这样或许可以奏效。
I'd like to give her a nice going-away present. 我很想送给她一件好的离别礼物。
Fine. 好啊。
There's only one problem. 只有一个问题。
What's that? 什么问题?
I'm broke. 我身无分文。
I should have saved some money. 我早该存些钱。
I'm sure Alexandra 我相信Alexandra
would be happy with something simple, Robbie. 会欣然接受简单的东西, Robbie。
I know. 我知道。
But, well, 但是,嗯,
I'd like to give her something nice 我想给她一件精美的礼物
to remember me by. 让她看到东西就想到我。
Maybe I could borrow some money from you and Dad. 也许你从你爸爸那儿可以借点钱。
It's all right with me 我没有问题
if it's all right with your dad. 假如你爸爸答应的话。
Thanks, Mom. 谢谢,妈。
I'll talk to him. 我会去跟他谈谈。
Is he still in his office? 他还在办公室吗?
I think so. 我想是的。
Thanks, Mom. 谢谢,妈。
Robbie! Good luck! Robbie! 祝你好运!
Here are the X-rays you wanted, Dr. Stewart. 这是你要的X光片, Stewart医师。
Oh. Thank you, Molly. 噢, 谢谢你, Molly。
Now, let me check them. 现在,让我来看一看。
What do you think? 你看怎么样?
I don't see any breaks or fractures. 我看不出有任何破裂或骨折。
Well, well. Thank you, Molly. 还好,还好。谢谢你,Molly。
Thank you. 谢谢你。
Come in! 进来!
Hi, Son. 嗨,儿子。
Hi, Dad. Am I interrupting you? 嗨,爸爸。我打搅了你?
No, no, no, no. 不,不,不,不。
What's up? 什么事?
Can we talk? 我们能谈谈吗?”
Sure. 当然可以。
I need some help. 我需要帮助。
Well, that's what fathers are for. 嗯,父亲们的功用正在于此。
Well, before I go to college, 嗯,在我进大学之前,
I have the whole summer ... 我有一整个暑假可以用……
Yes ... 对呀……
And I'm planning to get a job for the summer. 我想在暑假打工。
And what sort of job? 哪一类的工作?
I applied for a job as a lifeguard at the community pool. 我申请了社区游泳池当救生员工作。
Sounds pretty good. 听起来不错。
Yes. I'll be earning pretty good money if I get it. 是的。假如我得到这份工作的话我可以赚不少钱。
But right now, I'm kind of short of cash. 但现在,我手头很紧。
Who isn't? 有谁不紧?
And my friend Alexandra is going back to Greece ... 我的朋友Alexan