ACT III
Hi, everyone. Sorry I'm late. 嗨,各位好。很抱歉我迟到了。
But Alexandra and I 但Alexandra和我
have been busy at work this morning 一早上都在忙事情
on the community-center project. 为社区中心的计划。
And we brought someone along who can help. 而且我们带来一些可以帮助我们的人。
You remember Charles Maxwell, Grandpa? 你记得Charles Maxwell吗, 爷爷?
He's the editor of the Riverdale paper. 他是Riverdale报的编辑。
He wrote some nice articles on Mom 他写了一些介绍妈妈的好文章
when she was running for the school board. 在妈妈竞选校联合会董事席位时。
Yes, I remember. You were a great help. 是的,我记得。你帮了个大忙。
Hi, Mr. Stewart. 嗨, Stewart先生。
Hope to be a bigger help on the new community-center project. 希望能在新社区计划这件事上提供更大的帮助。
From what Robbie and Alexandra have told me, 从Robbie和Alexandra告诉我的情况看来,
you people are making one big story. 你们正在制造一件大新闻。
Let me introduce you, Mr. Maxwell. 让我给你介绍一下,Maxwell先生。
This is Nat Baker, 这是Nat Baker,
who's responsible for this meeting, 他是这个会议的负责人,
and this is Joanne Thompson--and Abe Lucas, 这是Joanne Thompson----还有Abe Lucas,
who used to run the drugstore in town. 他过去在镇上经营药房。
Robbie and Alexandra told me Robbie和Alexandra告诉我
what you need to fix up the old library. 你们修复旧图书馆所需要的东西。
I am planning to write an editorial that I think will help you. 我计划写一篇报道我认为应该能帮助你们。
Let's go. What are your questions? 我就进行吧。你们有哪些问题?
OK. Now, I have ... first ... a couple of questions here. 好,现在, 我有……第一……几个问题。
Have you talked to the community council? 你们跟社区的议会谈过了吗?
And have you had an engineer come in to do an inspection? 你们可有一个工程师来做过检查吗?
OK, what do you need most of all? 好,你们最需要的是什么?
People power. 人力。
Men and women, young and old, to give us their time. 不管男女老幼,请他们贡献时间。
To do what? 做什么呢?
To help scrub the building interior clean. 帮忙把建筑的内部擦洗干净。
So that we can repaint it. 好让我们可以粉刷。
And you also need bodies to do repainting? 你们也需要人来重新粉刷吗?
That's right. 是的。
And we'll also need some ladders 而且我们还需要一些梯子
and some brushes and some paint. 刷子和油漆。
When do you need the volunteers, 你们什么时候需要义工,
and where do they report? 他们去哪儿报到?
I've got the council to agree 我已说服议会
to open the building for us on the next four weekends. 在往后四个周开放那座建筑。
How about furnishings? 家具摆设怎么办?
Are there any special requirements that I should list in the paper?有什么特别的要求要我列在报纸上的?
Yes. 是的。
Here is a copy of all the things we need to start with. 这是我们一开始需要的所有东西的清单。
Let's see. Four desks. 我来看看。四张桌子。
Eight straight-back chairs. Thirty folding chairs. 八张直背椅。三十张折椅。
Six table lamps. Three end tables. One piano. 六盏灯。三张茶几。一架钢琴。
This is a good start. 这是一个好的开始。
These items shouldn't be difficult to come by 这些东西应该是不难弄到的
once I print the article in the paper. 等我将这篇文张刊登在报纸上。
This community has always been very generous. 这个社区一向是非常慷慨的。
I agree, Mr. Maxwell. 我有同感, Maxwell先生。
What you're saying is, in order for this center to succeed, 你刚才所说的是为了使中心能成功,
we need to put together volunteers 我们需要募集志愿者
from the various generations of future users. 从不同辈份的使用者中。
That's right. 是的。
And without their energy and stamina, 没有他们的体力和耐力,
there's no way we can complete this project. 我们无法完成这项计划。
I've got it. Now give me some information about 我知道了。现在告诉我
how you see the building being used. 你们计划如何使用这栋建筑。
Oh, here. On