ACT II
Hello there, Robbie. 哈,Robbie。
What are you doing up this late? 这么晚了你还没睡在做什么?
Reading. 读书。
Reading? 读书?
At this hour? 在这个时候?
Ah, come on, Robbie. 噢,算了吧,Robbie。
What are you doing up this late? 这么晚你不睡在干什么?
Things on my mind. 想一些事情。
Do you care to talk about them? 你想谈谈它们吗?
Sure, 当然,
if you don't mind listening. 假如你不介意听的话。
Robbie, Robbie, remember me? Robbie,Robbie,记得我?
I'm your mother. 我是你母亲。
If you have something you want to talk about, 假如你有什么事情要谈,
I'm always prepared to listen. 我总是准备听的。
You haven't been around much lately. 最近你在家的时候不多。
So that's it. 原来是这件事。
OK, let's talk. 好,让我们谈谈。
You and Dad are like ships that pass in the night. 和爸爸就像在夜里交错而过的船一样。
Dad works hard, and he works late. 爸爸工作忙,而且忙到很晚。
You work hard on all your committees, 而你总是在各种委员会忙,
and you work late. 也工作到很晚。
I thought you were proud of the work I do. 我还以为你为我所做的工作感到骄傲呢。
I am, Mom. 我确实感到骄傲,妈妈。
Real proud. 真的骄傲。
You are one fantastic mom, 你是一位好母亲。
but ... but I've been noticing 但……但我注意到
how little quality time 黄金时光太少了
you spend with Dad and me ... and the family. 和父亲,我……及全家人共度的。
It's a real problem, Robbie. 这确实是个问题,Robbie。
I know it. 我知道。
I'm concerned. 我很担心。
There must be a way 总该有个办法
that Dad and you can spend more time together. 能使你和爸爸有更多时间在一起。
Well, we always talk about 说的也是,我们常在谈论
taking a vacation together--with the family. 要一起渡个假---和全家一起。
I think you ought to 我觉得你们应该
take a vacation away from the family--alone. 离开家人而单独在一起渡个假。
Kind of a second honeymoon. 类似二度蜜月的假期。
It would be wonderful, 那倒是很美妙,
but our schedules won't allow it. 但我们的工作时间表不允许这样。
I think I have an idea. 我有一个主意。
You do? 真的?
Yup. 是的。
I think I have an idea 我想我有一个办法
that will bring Dad and you 使你和爸爸
together in a more scheduled way. 能更定时在一起。
What is it? 是什么主意?
Well, 噢,
you know how Dad is always talking about 知道爸爸时常谈起
the kids in the ward 住院的孩子们
and how important it is for them to be paid attention to? 以及他们何等需要受人关怀?
Yes. 是的。
Well ... 好……
and how hard it is 他还说这件事很难
because the doctors and nurses are so busy? 因为医生和护士们都非常忙?
Yes. 是的。
Well, how would it be if you took some time 好,那你花些时间
to work with Dad towards solving that problem? 和爸爸一起来解决这个问题怎么样?
I don't get it. 我不懂你的话。
Like setting up a regular weekly reading program. 譬如说开办一项每周一次的定期阅读计划。
You and Dad. 你和爸爸。
You and Dr. Philip Stewart-- 和Philip Stewart医生---
going to the children's ward once or twice a week 每星期就去小儿科病房一两次
and reading to them. 为他们朗读。
Not bad. 不错。
Not a bad idea, Robbie. 蛮好的主意,Robbie。
As a matter of fact, 事实上 ,
it fits right in with something I'm working on right now 这跟我正在进行的某项小组工作不谋而合
with the school-board committee. 与联合校董事会有关。
What's that? 什么样的工作?
I've been trying 我一直努力
to work out a program 想研拟一项计划
in the public school 在公立学校中
that will bring parents and teachers together once a week 让家长们及教师每星期一次
to read to the students--their own children, really. 共同为学生们---其实就是他们自己的孩子朗读。
By doing that, it will encourage reading. 这样做能鼓励阅读。
So it might fit in with a program 所以这个跟计划相当吻合
for reading to the kids in the hospital. 为住院的孩子朗读。
You're right. 你说得对。
We'll do it! 我们就来进行吧!
I'm go