You're Tops ACT III

时间:2005-10-1 14:26:36  作者:alex 鍙彲鑻辫-骞磋交浜虹殑鑻辫鍚璁粌骞冲彴
You're Tops ACT III


ACT III

Hi. I'm Malcolm Stewart. 嗨。我是 Malcolm Stewart。
John Marchetta. 我是John Marchetta。
Sit down, sit down. 请坐,请坐。
Susan has told me a great deal about you.  Susan告诉我许多关于你的事。
She says you're quite a man. 她说你是个了不起的人。
She says 她也谈起
a lot of wonderful things about you too, Mr. Stewart. 不少你的非凡作为,Stewart先生。
That's always nice to hear, Mr. Marchetta. 听到这些话总是好的,Marchetta先生。
Call me John. 叫我John 。
May I call you Malcolm? 我能称你Malcolm 吗?
Let's talk business. 我们来谈谈正经事。
That's music to my ears. 正合我意。
I understand 听说
you used to be in the construction business. 你过去在建筑界工作。
Yup. Forty-three years. 是的,四十三年。
Here's a brief description 这是一份简单的记录
of forty-three years of on-the-job training. 关于我四十三年的工作经历。
That is some history! 这阅历了不得!
You're a valuable asset, Malcolm. 你是很有价值的资产, Malcolm。
Very valuable. 很有价值。
Thank you. 谢谢你。
Yup. Forty-three years. 是的。四十三年。
Half that time in my own construction company. 一半时间是在我自己的建筑公司。
Big jobs--factories, shopping malls. 大的工程----工厂, 大型购物中心。
That kind of thing. 等等。
Then you retired. 然后你退休了。
Yes. 是的。
After my wife died, 我妻子去世后,
and I felt I should spend more time 我觉得应该多花些时间
with my children and grandchildren. 与儿子孙子们在一起。
I lived in Florida, 我住在Florida,
and they lived in New York. 而他们住在纽约。
I understand. 我了解。
My dautghter Cami lives in New York. 我女儿Cami住在纽约。
I like being near her. 我喜欢离她近一点。
When I came here, 当我初到这儿,
I planned to take a few months off. 我计划休息几个月。
Relax with the family and then look for some work. 与家人轻松一段时间然后找个工作。
Put my experience on the line ... 考验我的阅历……
but, unfortunately, 但是,很不幸,
there isn't any work for a retired person my age. 没有适合我这种年纪的退休老人的工作。
Sometimes there is, 有时候有的,
and sometimes there isn't. 有时候没有。
Well, I'm involved with an organization, 嗯,我参加一个组织,
and we're trying to resolve that problem. 试图解决这类问题。
What's that? 什么组织?
TOPS. TOPS.
T-O-P-S--means Talented Older People's Society. T-O-P-S 全名是优秀老人协会。
I'd like to be a member. 我想加入做为会员。
How much are the dues? 会费多少?
There are no dues. 不要会费。
The organization serves major companies in this city. 这个组织为本市的各大公司服务。
Why? 为什么?
Because our members are men and women like you. 因为这个组织的会员都是像你这样的人。
Experienced, talented, retired. 有经验,有才能,也都退休了。
But our members want to go out there 但会员们希望在社会上
and use their talents. 贡献他们的才能。
They want to work. 他们想工作。
That is fantastic, John! 那太好了,John!
I've got an idea for you, Malcolm. 我倒替你想出了一个主意,Malcolm。
Just fill out this form for me. 请把这份表填好。
It'll only take a few minutes. 只要几分钟时间。
Sit right here, 就坐在这儿填,
and do it while I talk to my secretary. 我去和秘书说个话。
When I get back, we'll talk about my new factory. 我回来后,我们谈一谈我的新工厂。
My company is a member of TOPS. 我的公司也是优秀老人协会的会员。
So I try hard to find opportunities for people like you. 所以我努力为像你这样的人寻找机会。
Malcolm. Malcolm。
And when I see an opportunity, 而且当我一看到机会,
I can act on it. 我就可以处理。
Well, I can use your brainpower on the job right now. 嗯,我马上可以将你的才智用在这项工程上。
Have you got time this morning 今天上午你有时间
to go over to the construction site with me? 去看一看建筑工地吗?
I'd like to have you meet my foreman-- 我希望带你去认识工头---
get some background on the job. 了解这项工程的一些背景。
I've go

[1] [2] [3] 下一页





6小时掌握学英语的秘诀!--点击看答案      推荐:要考试,想通过,必上考试吧!





  • 上一个英语学习:

  • 下一个英语学习:
  • 相关资讯...

    最新英语资讯

    最新英语资料下载

    光影社区栏目导航

      鍙彲鑻辫-骞磋交浜虹殑鑻辫鍚璁粌骞冲彴