From Jack Good:
杰克·古德来信说:
16 Sep 48
1948年9月18号
Dear Prof,
亲爱的教授,
Pardon the use of the typewriter: I have come to prefer discrete machines to continuous ones.
请原谅我使用打字机给你写信,我对离散机器的喜爱胜于连续机器。
When I was in Cambridge recently I hunted unsuccessfully ...for an estimate ...of N, the number of neurons in the human brain.
我最近在剑桥也没有查到人类大脑的神经元数量,
Soon after this Donald succeeded in finding a reference. He tells me that...ν = 10000000000 roughly.
但是唐纳德找到了一份资料,他说大概是100亿个。
I visited Oxford last week-end. Donald showed me a 'chess machine' invented by Shaun (Wylie) and himself.
上个星期我去了一趟牛津,唐纳德给我展示了一台他和肖恩注发明的"下棋机"。
It suffers from the very serious disadvantage that it does not analyse more than one move ahead.
但是这台机器有着严重的不足,它只能向前分析一步,
I am convinced that such a machine would play a very poor game, however accurately it scored the position with respect to matter and space.
我认为它的水平肯定很差,很容易被一些小技巧击败。
In fact it could easily be beaten by playing 'psychologically' i.e. by taking into account the main weakness of the machine. ...
比如说,考虑到这台机器的主要缺点是……
When in Oxford I succeeded in hypnotising Donald. ...
在牛津我成功地把唐纳德催眠了……
Would you agree that a very typical property of the brain is the ability to think in analogies?
你是否同意,"类比"是大脑的一个重要特性?
This means taking only a part of the evidence into account. ...
也就是说,只考虑全部信息的某一部分……
Do you know of any reference to Russian electronic computers? ...
你那里有关于俄国电子计算机的资料吗?……