‘May be a bit late now, but do you want to go anyway?’
“或许已经晚了点,不过你还是想去吗?”
Tricia was stunned.
崔茜卡惊呆了。
‘Mr. Martin? You mean Andy Martin at NBS?’
“马丁先生?你是说NBS的安迪?马丁?”
‘That’s correct, lady. Screen test for USIAM.’
“正是,女士。去《早安美国》试镜。”
Tricia shot up out of her seat. She couldn’t even bear to think of all the messages she’d heard for Mr. MacManus and Mr. Miller.
崔茜卡一跃而起。想到刚才所有那些给马克马努斯先生和米勒先生的口信,她差点压不住火气。
‘Only we have to hurry,’ said the chauffeur. ‘As I heard it Mr. Martin thinks it might be worth trying a British accent. His boss at the network is dead against the idea. That’s Mr. Zwingler, and I happen to know he’s flying out to the coast this evening because I’m the one has to pick him up and take him to the airport.’
“只不过咱们得赶紧了。”司机说,“我听说,马丁先生觉得应该找个英国口音试试。但他的老板坚决反对。他老板是茨威格勒先生,我恰好知道他今晚就要飞去东海岸,因为待会儿要去接他然后送他去机场的就是我。”
‘OK,’ said Tricia, ‘I’m ready. Let’s go.’
“好吧。”崔茜卡道,“我准备好了。咱们走吧。”
‘OK, lady. It’s the big limo out the front.’
“好吧,女士。就是门口那辆大轿车。”
Tricia turned back to Gail. ‘I’m sorry,’ she said.
崔茜卡转向盖尔。“抱歉了。”她说。
‘Go! Go!’ said Gail. ‘And good luck. I’ve enjoyed meeting you.’
“去吧!去吧!”盖尔道,“还有,祝你好运。跟你谈话很愉快。”
Tricia made to reach for her bag for some cash.
崔茜卡伸出手,想拿包付账。
‘Damn,’ she said. She’d left it upstairs.
“见鬼。”她说。包还在楼上。
‘Drinks are on me,’ insisted Gail. ‘Really. It’s been very interesting.’
“今天我请客。”盖尔坚持道,“真的。一切都很有意思。”
Tricia sighed.
崔茜卡叹了口气。
‘Look, I’m really sorry about this morning and…’
“你瞧,今天早上的事儿我真的很抱歉……”
‘Don’t say another word. I’m fine. It’s only astrology. It’s harmless. It’s not the end of the world.’
“什么也别说了。我很好。只不过是占星术,没什么害处。又不是世界末日。”
‘Thanks.’ On an impulse Tricia gave her a hug.
“谢谢。”冲动之下,崔茜卡给了她一个拥抱。