伊丽莎白·芭蕾特·布朗宁,又称勃朗宁夫人或白朗宁夫人,是英国维多利亚时代最受人尊敬的诗人之一。生于1806年3月6日。十五岁时,不幸骑马跌损了脊椎。从此,下肢瘫痪达24年。在她39岁那年,结识了小她6岁的诗人罗伯特·勃朗宁,她那充满着哀怨的生命从此打开了新的一章。她的作品涉及广泛的议题和思想。其诗集《葡萄牙人十四行诗集》是她与丈夫爱情生活的真实写照,被认为是“英国文学史上的珍品”。而《我是怎样地爱你?》是勃朗宁夫人其中一首著名的十四行诗。
How do I love thee?
我是怎样地爱你
– Elizabeth Barrett Browning
——伊丽莎白·巴雷特·勃朗宁
How do I love thee?
我是怎样地爱你?
Let me count the ways.
让我逐一细述。
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
我爱你之深邃,之宽广,之高远
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
尽我的灵魂所能及之处—犹如探求
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
玄冥中神的存在和美好之极。
I love thee to the level of every day’s
我爱你如每日之必需,
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
阳光下和烛焰前都少不了。
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
我自由地爱着你,像人们争取他们的权利;
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
我纯洁地爱着你,如人们在赞美前会垂首。
I love thee with the passion put to use
我爱你,带着我昔日悲伤时的
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
那种激情,童年时的那种诚意;
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
我爱你,抵得上往日对圣者怀有的
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
如今似已消逝的那种爱-我用呼吸,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
用微笑,用眼泪,用我整个生命来爱你!
I shall but love thee better after death.
假使上帝愿意,我死后将更加爱你!