情景对话:
A: Did you hear the report yesterday?
你昨天去听报告了吗?
B: Yeah, the reporter is so young but so successful.
听了,那个人真是年轻有为。
A: He must pay a lot of price.
他肯定为此付出了很大的代价。
B : Why do you say like that?
你为什么这么说?
A: Because there is no royal road to success.
因为成功无坦途嘛。
1. 词海拾贝
royal road ( to something )
exp. An easy or direct way of achieving a desired end. (捷径)
e.g. Each year, people flock to Hollywood, hoping to find the royal road to fame and fortune.
每年,人们都涌向好莱坞,希望找到成名致富的捷径。
e.g. His family's wealth and status put him on the royal road to success from the moment he was born.
从他出生的那一刻起,他家族的财富和地位就使他走上了成功之路。
2. 语汇积累
1. pay a price:付出代价
e.g. The American people are willing to pay a price for energy independence.
美国人民愿意为能源自立付出代价。
e.g. If you want to survive and prosper, there is a price to play.
如果你想生存下去并且过得好,就要付出代价。
e.g. All we do is cut each other's throats and make the public pay a price for it.
我们所做所为是尔虞我诈,让众人付出代价。
2. like that:那样,如此,就像那样的
e.g. Be nicer to him. You shouldn't mess around with him like that.
对他好些, 你不该对他如此随便。
e.g. I'm going to start a shop like that. I'll need a foreman.
我预备开办一间象这样的工场,我需要一个管工。
e.g. I don't like people who go around bleating out things like that.
我不喜欢跑来跑去讲那种蠢话的人。