Dialogue:
A: I've been worried about the examination's results all afternoon.
我整个下午都为考试结果担心。
B: Don't be silly. I think you must have passed.
别傻了,你一定会通过的。
A: I'm not sure.
我没把握。
B: You can call the teacher to ask about it, and it will put your mind at rest.
你可以打电话问问老师,那样的话,你就放心了。
一, 词海拾贝
put one’s mind at rest
exp. To reduce or remove one's worry, anxiety, dread, fear, etc.(减轻或消除某人的忧虑、焦虑、恐惧、恐惧等;使人不再担心;使人放心)
e.g. I know you're anxious to hear how your father is doing after the surgery, so let me put your mind at rest—he's going to make a full recovery.
我知道你急于想知道你父亲手术后的情况,所以我告诉你他会完全康复的,这样你会放心了。
e.g. That bonus really put my mind at rest about these debts.
这笔奖金确实使我对这些债务放心了。
e.g. You can put your heart at rest with regard to your daughter's prospects for I will provide everything she needs for her.
你可以对你女儿的前程放心——我会给她提供她所需要的一切。
二, 语汇积累
1. ask about:询问了解……的情况
e.g. He went to the station to ask about the trains.
他到火车站却了解火车情况。
e.g. I wasn' t expecting the interviewer to ask about my private life and was left floundering for a while.
我没想到主持面试的人问我私生活的事, 就犹豫了一下。
2. be worried about:因……担忧
e.g. You're obviously worried about something; why not get it off your chest?
你显然有心事, 何不一吐为快?
e.g. I am worried about how things are going.
我对事业的进展感到担心。
3. all afternoon:整个下午
e.g. It showered off and on all afternoon.
整个下午断断续续地下着阵雨。
e.g. She remained in her office all afternoon.
她整个下午没有离开办公室。