情景对话
A: I tried to return your novel this afternoon. But there is nobody at home.
我今天下午去你那儿还书,但你家没人。
B: Why didn't you leave it next door?
你为什么不把它放在隔壁呢?
A: But I didn't know them very well.
我对他们不了解。
B: They're on the level. You can trust them.
他们诚实可靠,你可以相信他们。
一,词汇拾贝
on the level
exp. Honest, straightforward, and sincere.(诚实的,可靠的,坦诚的)
e.g. Last of all Paisley shook me by the hand and told me I'd acted square and on the level with him and he was proud to call me a friend.
最后同我握手的是佩斯利,他说我为人光明磊落,同我交朋友脸上有光。
e.g. I need to you to be on the level with me: do I have any chance at this promotion?
我需要你坦诚地告诉我:我有升职的机会吗?
e.g. I promise you that he’s on the level. He’s never been involved in anything criminal.
我向你保证他是诚实的,他从未参与任何犯罪活动。
e.g. Are you sure this deal is on the level?
你确信这笔交易诚实无欺吗?
二,语汇积累
know something very well:非常了解或清楚某事
e.g. We know it very well that master's on a wrong tack. And she's quite in the dark and we should let them know at once.
咱们都很清楚:主人走错路了,但是她一点也不知道,我们应该让他们马上让他们。
e.g. I knew the matter very well because I'd studied it up in a book.
那件事我很熟悉,因为我曾在一本书中查阅过。
e.g. He knew it very well that this was not where Joy was buried, but his tears fell thick and fast.
这绝不会是小福子的坟,他知道,可是他的泪一串一串的往下落。
第三,口语短句
中:你把书放在隔壁。
译:You leave my book next door.