第一, 情景对话
A: Where did we leave off last time?
上次我们学到哪儿了?
B: We cut this class together, don't you forget?
我和你一起旷的课,你忘了?
A: Oh, but who knows?
噢,那谁知道?
B: Jane?
简?
C: We finished the third paragraph of the text.
我们上完了文章的第三段。
A: Jane, thanks. Do you think the teacher will have a quiz as usual?
谢谢简,你说老师会像往常那样小考一下吗?
C: Perhaps he will.
可能会。
第二, 词海拾贝
leave off
exp. To stop doing something, typically something that will be resumed later. (停止做某事)
e.g. I forget where I left off in my story before we were interrupted.
我忘了在我们被打断之前我的故事讲到哪里了。
e.g. You can start by picking up where you left off on Friday.
你可以从周五中断的地方开始。
e.g. I left off reading and went downstairs for supper.
我停止看书,下楼去吃晚饭。
e.g. I think we should leave off now and have some coffee.
我想现在我们该休息一下,喝点咖啡了。
第三, 语汇积累
1. cut class:旷课,逃课
exp. To skip a school class or a day of school without an excuse.
e.g. This class is a real drag. Let's cut it.
这门课很无聊,我们逃课吧。
e.g. If you don't lend it to me, I'll tell Mom and Dad that you cut class last week.
如果你不借我,我就跟爸妈说妳上星期逃课。
e.g. I can't possibly sit through another lecture today, so let's just cut class and go to the beach.
我今天也许不能耐性性子听完另一节课了,我们逃课到海滩边去玩吧。
2. as usual:和往常一样,照例
e.g. As usual, there weren't many people at the meeting.
像往常一样,来开会的人不多。
e.g. As usual, she helped Minnie clear away the dishes and straightened up.
她象往常一样帮明妮洗好碗碟,整顿一下衣衫。
e.g. Despite the threat of war, people went about their work as usual.
尽管战争一触即发,人们仍像平时一样工作。
其它:have a quiz:测验,考试
the third paragraph of the text:课文的第三段
last time:上次,上回