第一,迷你对话
A: There is a rumour going around that Mr. Smith will be our new Department Head.
有谣传说史密斯先生将是我们新的系主任。
B: What? I can't believe it, I must say.
什么?我得说我根本不能相信。
A: Yes, he is so young and he always follows the crowd.
是啊,他那么年轻而且还没主见。
B: That means had or good for us?
这对我们是好事还是坏事呢?
A: Nobody knows.
谁知道呢。
第二,词海识别
follow the crowd
exp. To do what everyone else is doing. (随声附和,没有主见)
e.g. I'm worried that my daughter will just follow the crowd at the party and end up doing things that she doesn't really want to do.
我担心我女儿会在聚会上随波逐流,最后做一些她并不想做的事情。
e.g. I am an independent thinker. I could never just follow the crowd.
我是一个独立的思想者,我永远不可能随波逐流。
e.g. When in doubt, I follow the crowd. At least I don't stand out like a fool.
有疑问时,我就随大流,至少我不像个傻瓜那样引人注目。
e.g. You can do what you want to do, but never follow the crowd.
你想做什么就做什么,可别随大流。
第三,语汇积累
1. go around:(消息)流传
e.g. There's a nasty sort of rumour going around about it.
关于这件事正有一则恶意的谣言在流传。
e.g. The news went around like fire.Within half an hour it was all over the town.
消息不胫而走,不到半个钟头就传遍了全镇。
2. be good for someone:对某人有好处
e.g. A bowl of hot chicken soup is good for you.
喝一碗热鸡汤对你有好处。
e.g. Outdoor sunlight is very good for the health.
户外的阳光对健康很有好处。
e.g. Keep quiet about it if your know what's good for you.
如果你知道什么对你有好处,就保持沉默。