'Like what?' Harry spat, fists still clenched.
“什么问题?”哈利厉声问道,拳头仍然攥得紧紧的。
'Well,' said Riddle, smiling pleasantly,
“比如说,”里德尔说道,脸上露出快意的微笑,
'how is it that a baby with no extraordinary magical talent managed to defeat the greatest wizard of all time?
“一个婴儿,没有任何特别神奇的法术,是怎么打败有史以来最伟大的巫师的?
How did you escape with nothing but a scar, while Lord Voldemort's powers were destroyed?'
你怎么能够安然无恙地逃脱,只留下一道伤疤,而伏地魔的力量却被摧毁了?”
There was an odd red gleam in his hungry eyes now.
现在,他饿狼似的眼睛里闪着一种古怪的红光。
'Why do you care how I escaped?' said Harry slowly.
“你为什么关心我是怎么逃脱的?”哈利拖长了声音问,
'Voldemort was after your time.'
“伏地魔的事发生在你死后许多年。”
'Voldemort,' said Riddle softly, 'is my past, present and future, Harry Potter... '
“伏地魔,”里德尔轻声说,“是我的过去、现在和未来,哈利·波特……”
He pulled Harry's wand from his pocket and began to trace it through the air, writing three shimmering words: TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE ?
他从口袋里抽出哈和的魔杖,在空中画了几下,写出三个闪闪发亮的名字:汤姆·马沃罗·里德尔。
Then he waved the wand once, and the letters of his name re-arranged themselves: I AM LORD VOLDEMORT
然后他把魔杖挥了一下,那些字母自动调换了位置,变成了:我是伏地魔。
'You see?' he whispered. 'It was a name I was already using at Hogwarts, to my most intimate friends only, of course.
“看见了吗?”他小声地说,“这个名字是我在霍格沃茨读书的时候就用过的,当然啦,只对我最亲密的朋友用过。
You think I was going to use my filthy Muggle father's name for ever?
难道你认为,我要一辈子使用我那个肮脏的麻瓜父亲的名字吗?
I, in whose veins runs the blood of Salazar Slytherin himself, through my mother's side?
要知道,在我的血管里,流淌着萨拉查斯莱特林本人的鲜血,是通过他的女儿传给我的!
I, keep the name of a foul, common Muggle,
难道我还会保留那个令人恶心的普通麻瓜的名字?
who abandoned me even before I was born, just because he found out his wife was a witch?
他在我还没有出生时就抛弃了我,就因为他发现自己的妻子是个女巫!