If we can now imagine Hadrian's Wall as not such a bad posting,
如果我们难以理解 哈德良长城的存在不无裨益
it's because our sense of what life was like at the time
则都因我们对于那个世界的认知
has been transformed by one of the most astonishing finds of recent archaeology the so-called Vindolanda Tablets.
因一项最近惊人的考古发现所改观 这就是被称为文都拉多便签的发现
They're scraps of Roman correspondence, jottings,scribblings and drafts of letters thrown away as rubbish by their authors almost 2,000 years ago.
这些是两千年前 罗马人的通信札记涂鸦 以及一些被丢弃无用的草稿
For 25 years,archaeologists here have been digging up these letters,1,300 of them, from seven metres below the ground.
历时二十五年 这里的考古学家不断挖掘这些信件 自七米的地下挖掘出一千三百件文物
Up they've come,lovingly separated from dirt, debris and each other and painstakingly deciphered.
文物出土之后 他们悉心将泥土残骸以及粘连的文物剥离 并煞费苦心地破译字符
At once poignantly fragile and miraculously enduring,
一时间 这脆弱得可怜的碎片竟成不朽
the voices of the Roman frontier in the windy North Country,loud, clear and strong.
罗马先驱在北国风声中的声音 响亮 清晰 掷地有声
From Masculus to Tribune Serianus.Greeting.Please instruct as to what you want us to do tomorrow.
自马斯克勒斯 至萨瑞奥里斯护民官 您好 请指示明日安排
Are we all to return with the standard or only half of us?
我们全撤退还是只撤退一半
My troops have no beer. Please order some to be sent.
营里啤酒告罄 请求调派
I sent you two pairs of socks and sandals,and two pairs of underpants.
我寄给你了两双袜子和便鞋 还有两条底裤
Greet Elpus Tetricus and your messmates,with whom I pray you get on.
问候艾帕斯·泰特库斯与你的战友们 祈祷你们能相处融洽
He beat me and threatened to pour my goods down the drain.
他打我还威胁把我的东西 都倒进排水沟
I implore your mercifulness not to allow me,an innocent from overseas,to be beaten by rods as if a criminal.
我乞求你 不要让我 一个漂洋过海的无辜人 像罪人一样被鞭笞凌辱
I warmly invite you to my birthday party on the third day before the Ides of September.
我诚挚地邀请您参加我的生日聚会 聚会时间定在九月十日
Please come,as it will be so much more enjoyable if you were here.
请务必赏光 您的到来 将令寒舍蓬荜生辉