"Well... Voldemort said that he only killed my mother because she tried to stop him from killing me.
“是这样……伏地魔说他当年杀死我母亲,是因为我母亲拼命地阻止他杀死我。
But why would he want to kill me in the first place?"
可是,话说回来,他为什么想要杀死我呢?”
Dumbledore sighed very deeply this time.
邓布利多这次重重地叹了口气。
"Alas, the first thing you ask me, I cannot tell you. Not today.
“哎呀,你问我的第一件事,我就不能够告诉你。
Not now. You will know, one day... put it from your mind for now, Harry.
今天不能,现在不能。总有一天,你会知道的……暂时先别想这件事吧,哈利。
When you are older... I know you hate to hear this...
等你再长大一些……我知道你不愿意听这个话……
when you are ready, you will know."
等你做好了准备,你自然就会知道了。”
And Harry knew it would be no good to argue.
哈利明白再多说也没有用。
"But why couldn't Quirrell touch me?"
“那么,为什么奇洛不能碰我?”
"Your mother died to save you.
“你母亲是为了救你而死的。
If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love.
如果伏地魔有什么事弄不明白,那就是爱。
He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark.
他没有意识到,像你母亲对你那样强烈的爱,是会在你身上留下自己的印记的。
Not a scar, no visible sign...
不是伤疤,不是看得见的痕迹……
to have been loved so deeply,
被一个人这样深深地爱过,
even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.
尽管那个爱我们的人已经死了,也会给我们留下一个永远的护身符。
It is in your very skin.
它就藏在你的皮肤里。
Quirrell, full of hatred, greed, and ambition, sharing his soul with Voldemort,could not touch you for this reason.
正是由于这个原因,奇洛不能碰你。奇洛内心充满仇恨、贪婪和野心,把灵魂出卖给了伏地魔,
It was agony to touch a person marked by something so good."
他碰了一个身上标有这么美好印记的人,是会感到痛苦难忍的。”