This was Mercedes Charles’s wife and Hal's sister.
她是查尔斯的妻子, 哈尔的姐姐, 叫玛尔赛蒂。
Buck watched the men take down the tent and load all their luggage on the sledge.
巴克冷眼瞧着他们拆掉帐篷, 把所有的东西都放到雪撬上。
They didn't know how to do it sensibly, and every time they put something on the sledge, Mercedes moved it.
他们不懂得如何把东西有条理地安置好。而且更糟的是, 每一次刚把东西放到雪撬上, 玛尔赛蒂就动手移开它。
Often they had to take things off the sledge and start again.
所以他们常常不得不把东西搬下来重新开始。
Three men came up and watched, laughing
3个男人走上前看到这情景, 笑了起来。
'You've got a heavy load on that sledge, 'said one of them 'Why don't you leave the tent here in Skagway?'
“你们放在雪撬上的东西太沉了, ”其中一个人说道, “你们干嘛不把帐篷留在斯开格威?”
'How could we live without a tent?'asked Mercedes, throwing up her hands in the air.
“没有帐篷我们怎么活下去呢?”玛尔赛蒂问道, 向空中伸出双手。
'It's spring now. You won't have any more cold weather.'
“春天来了, 天气不会再冷啦。”
'I must have a tent, ' she answered, and helped Charles and Hal with the last few boxes.
“我可不能没有帐篷。”她答道, 帮着查尔斯和哈尔搬着最后几只箱子。
'Do you think that load will stay on?' asked another man.
“你那些东西装的不太稳当吧?”另一个人说。
'Why shouldn't it?'asked Charles.
“这为什么呢?”查尔斯问。
'Well, it's a bit heavy on top. Do you think your dogs will be able to pull that?'
“哦, 顶头太重了。你想你的狗拉这么多东西吃得消吗?”
'Of course they will, ' said Hal. The sledge was now ready to go.' Come on, dogs, pull! ‘he shouted .
“他们当然拉得动。”哈尔说。雪撬已经准备起程。“来, 狗, 拉车。”他喊道。
The dogs pulled as hard as they could, but the sledge did not move.
狗使出全身的力气拉, 但雪撬纹丝未动。
'The lazy animals!' shouted Hal, picking up his whip.
“懒东西!”哈尔叫着, 抡起了鞭子。