本段对话选自Desperate Housewives,《绝望主妇》
Mrs.Peterson: "Checking out the new executive digs?"
彼得森夫人:来看新的行政主管?
Lynette: "Oh, you know it."
勒内特:哦,你明白的。
Mrs. Peterson: "Can I tell you a little secret?"
彼得森夫人:我能告诉你一个小秘密吗?
Lynette: "Sure."
勒内特:当然。
Mrs. Peterson: "Dan wanted to hold the promotion over for Tim Doogan and I'm the one that convinced him to give it to Tom."
彼得森夫人:丹想要把晋升的机会留给蒂姆道根,而我说服了他把机会给汤姆。
Lynette: "Really?"
勒内特:真的?
Mrs. Peterson: "Uh-huh. Tom is such a workhorse and he wanted it so badly."
彼得森夫人:恩哼,汤姆是一个不折不扣的工作狂,他非常想得到这次机会。
Lynette: "Yeah, he certainly did."
勒内特:是啊,他的确是。
Mrs. Peterson: "What is wrong? Aren't you happy about this promotion?"
彼得森夫人:怎么了?你不为这次升职开心吗?
Mary Alice Voiceover:"Lynette realized it was in her best interest to lie to the boss's wife."
勒内特意识到她最好对老板妻子撒个谎。
Lynette: "Well, it's great, obviously. Thank you."
勒内特:非常开心,当然了,谢谢。
"Provided she wasn't too convincing."
倘若她的话不是那么令人信服,
Lynette: "Of course, I mean, I will miss him being gone all the time.
勒内特:当然,我是说,我会想他得一直奔波在外。
He'll be bringing in more money, but he is gonna miss the birthdays, baseball games, first steps.
他能赚回更多的钱,但他也将错过生日庆祝,棒球比赛,婴儿迈出的头几步。
That's the trade-off, right?
有得必有失,对吧?
I just hope one day Tom doesn't look back and regret being gone so much.
我只是希望某一天,汤姆再回过头来看时,不会后悔离家太久。
I better get out there before they break something."
恩,我最好赶在他们打破什么之前过去。
Mrs. Peterson: "Of course, I will see you soon."
彼得森夫人:好的,回见。