Too Many Debts
太多债务
John was aggravated about his many debts.
约翰被众多债务缠得焦头烂额。
"Henry," he confided to his best friend. "I can't sleep anymore because I am so worried about finances."
“亨利,”他对自己最好的朋友倾诉说,“我为自己的财务状况焦虑得睡不着觉了。”
"Sorry, buddy," answered Henry, "but I can't help you in that department. You already owe me $800."
“很抱歉,老伙计,”亨利答道,“在这个问题上我帮不上忙了,你还欠我800块钱呢。”
"I wasn't going to ask you again. Don't worry."
“我不是又来找你借钱的,别担心。”
"I can't understand why you are in this situation. You have a good, steady job."
“我真不明白你怎么会把自己搞成这样。你的工作很不错,又稳定。”
"I know, but I owe money to the food market, the department stores, the liquor store, the landlady and you."
“我也知道,不过我在食品店、商场、酒店都有欠账,我还欠房东太太,还有你的钱。”
"Why don't you pay off one debt at a time?"
“你为什么不一次付清一笔债务呢?”
"I would if I could, but if I don't have some money by tomorrow--I'll really be in a big jam."
“我能的话一定会的,不过明天我要是没有点儿钱的话,我可就要有大麻烦了。”
"You owe the government back taxes?"
“你欠政府税款吗?”
"No, I don't have enough money to bet on the horse races tomorrow."
“不是的,是明天我没有足够的钱赌马了。”