What If...
如果……怎么样
Tom is applying for a job as a signalman for the local railroad.
汤姆在应聘做地方铁路系统的信号员。
The inspector decides to give Tom a quiz, asking, "What would you do if you realized that two trains were heading towards each other on the same track?"
督察决定考考他,于是问道,“如果你意识到两列火车正在同一条轨道上面对面行驶,你会怎么做?”
Tom says, "I would switch one train to another track."
汤姆答:“我会把其中的一列转到另一条轨道。”
"What if the lever broke?" asks the inspector.
“如果控制杆不起作用了呢?”督察接着问道。
"I'd run down to the tracks and use my manual lever," answers Tom.
汤姆答:“我会跑到轨道边用手动控制杆搬动道岔。”
"What if that had been struck by lightning?" challenges the inspector.
“如果手动控制杆遭雷击坏了呢?”督察继续考验他。
"Then," Tom continues, "I'd run back up here and use the phone to call the next signal box."
“那么,”汤姆接着说,“我会跑回来打电话通知下一个信号房。”
"What if the phone was busy?"
“如果电话占线怎么办?”
"In that case," Tom argues, "I'd run to the street level and use the public phone near the station."
“那样的话,”汤姆争辩道,“我会跑到街上打车站旁边的公用电话。”
"What if that had been vandalized?"
“如果那里的电话坏了呢?”
"Oh, well," says Tom, "in that case I'd run back home and get my grandpa."
“这样啊,”汤姆说,“如果是这样我就会跑回家把我爷爷叫来。”
This puzzles the inspector, so he asks, "Why would you do that?"
这下督察不明白了,问道:“你为什么要这么做?”
"Because he's 78 years of age but he has never seen a train crash!"
“因为我爷爷78岁了,可还没见过火车相撞呢!”