The most serious disagreement was between Steve Jobs
而最严重的分歧则存在于史蒂夫·乔布斯
and the man he had made Chief Executive, John Sculley.
和他亲自任命的首席执行官 John Sculley之间
Steve has a tendency to be binary about people
史蒂夫评价他人时往往倾向于非此即彼
You know, sort of, he flipped on John Sculley.
他对John Sculley的态度好像突然发生了转变
The two men were battling over the future of Apple.
两个人为了公司的未来争论不休
I was focused on the cash-flow of the Apple II.
我关注的是苹果二代计算机的资金流动
We had to have that coming in.
我们得有现金流入
Steve wanted to drop the price of the Macintosh,
而史蒂夫想下调Macintosh的售价
and put more marketing against the Macintosh.
将更多资金用于对Macintosh的营销
I felt we couldn't afford that.
我认为我们负担不起
30-year-old Jobs had picked a fight with a formidable foe.
30岁的乔布斯不自量力地发起了一场战争
Sculley came from PepsiCo, a very political organisation,
Sculley来自百事公司 那是一个党派化严重的团体
and he was a skilful infighter
而他是个老道的内斗派
who knew how to play the games, and Steve didn't.
他深谙游戏规则 但史蒂夫却太天真了
I said, "Steve, I'm going to the board of directors."
我说 史蒂夫 我得去找董事会谈谈了
He didn't think I'd do that, but I did,
他不相信我真的会去 但是我去了
and the board said, "We agree with John.
董事会说 我们同意John的想法
"We don't agree with you, Steve."
我们不支持你 史蒂夫
They asked Steve to step down from heading the Macintosh division.
他们要求史蒂夫辞去Macintosh分部的领导岗位
Jobs had been forced out of the company he had created.
乔布斯被迫离开了他亲手创立的公司
It was a humiliating taste of failure.
尝到了失败的苦涩滋味
I got a phone call, late at night and it was Steve.
深夜里 我接到一个电话 那是史蒂夫打来的
He sounded really despondent and very, very sad.
他听上去心灰意冷 非常非常难过
And I knew he was all alone at his great big unfurnished mansion up in Woodside.
我知道 他当时一定独自呆在伍德塞德那栋空荡荡的大宅子里
I got in my car, drove up there, and it was totally dark
随后 我就开着车去了伍德赛德 那儿伸手不见五指
and rather creepy, and I found the house
简直叫人毛骨悚然 我找到了那栋房子
and went in and climbed up stairs by myself and found him
走了进去 自己开门 爬上楼梯
in his bedroom just laying down and he was very, very sad.
发现他呆在他的卧室里 就这么静静地躺在床上 伤心到了极点
And I just stayed there, as a friend.
作为朋友 我呆在那儿陪了他一晚上