WHY do you sit there on the floor so quiet and silent, tell me, mother dear?
你为什么坐在那边地板上不言不动的,告诉我呀,亲爱的妈妈?
The rain is coming in through the open window, making you all wet, and you don't mind it.
雨从开着的窗口打进来了,把你身上全打湿了,你却不管。
Do you hear the gong striking four? It is time for my brother to come home from school.
你听见钟已打四下了么?正是哥哥从学校里回家的时候了。
What has happened to you that you look so strange?
到底发生了什么事,你的神色这样不对?
Haven't you got a letter from father to-day?
你今天没有接到爸爸的信么?
I saw the postman bringing letters in his bag for almost everybody in the town.
我看见邮差在他的袋里带了许多信来,几乎镇里的每个人都分送到了。
Only, father's letters he keeps to read himself. I am sure the postman is a wicked man.
只有爸爸的信,他留起来给他自己看。我确信这个邮差是个坏人。
But don't be unhappy about that, mother dear.
但是不要因此不乐呀,亲爱的妈妈。
To-morrow is market day in the next village. You ask your maid to buy some pens and papers.
明天是邻村市集的日子。你叫女仆去买些笔和纸来。
I myself will write all father's letters; you will not find a single mistake.
我自己会写爸爸所写的一切信;使你找不出一点错处来。
I shall write from A right up to K.
我要从A字一直写到K字。
But, mother, why do you smile?
但是,妈妈,你为什么笑呢?
You don't believe that I can write as nicely as father does!
你不相信我能写得同爸爸一样好!
But I shall rule my paper carefully, and write all the letters beautifully big.
但是我将用心画格子,把所有的字母都写得又大又美。
When I finish my writing, do you think I shall be so foolish as father and drop it into the horrid postman's bag?
当我写好了时,你以为我也像爸爸那样傻,把它投入可怕的邮差的袋中么?
I shall bring it to you myself without waiting, and letter by letter help you to read my writing.
我立刻就自己送来给你,而且一个字母,一个字母地帮助你读。
I know the postman does not like to give you the really nice letters.
我知道那邮差是不肯把真正的好信送给你的。