It came quite literally and metaphorically out of the clear blue sky.
它真的就像是晴空中的一道霹雳
Nobody saw this coming.
来得毫无预兆
It was the blackest day in American history.
那是美国历史上最黑暗的日子
No doubt about it.
毫无疑问
Someone said," General, you need to turn on the television."
有人说 "将军 您得把电视打开"
I did that and I watched along with the world
我打开了 我和全世界的人们一起
as the second jet hit the second tower.
看着第二架飞机撞上另一座大楼
On the morning of September 11th, 2001,
2001年9月11日上午
two passenger planes hijacked by terrorists linked to al-Qaeda
两架被基地组织的恐怖分子劫持的客机
crash into the World Trade Center towers in New York.
撞上了纽约市的世贸中心大楼
When it first happened and I first realized how bad it was,
当灾难刚刚发生 而我刚刚意识到问题有多严重时
it took a while to understand how bad it was,
我愣了好一阵 才明白势态的严重性
and I realized it was the worst attack in our history.
然后就知道这是我们历史上最可怕的袭击
I remember thinking, "Well, the world is gonna change.
我记得我当时在想 "世界要发生巨变了
"I'm not sure how, but the world is gonna change."
"我不知道会怎么变 但是变革不可避免"
34 minutes later,a third plane, American Airlines Flight 77,hits the Pentagon.
34分钟后 第三架飞机 美国航空公司的77号航班撞上了五角大楼
At 10:03, a fourth plane,believed to be heading for the Capitol or the White House
10点03分准备撞向国会大厦或者白宫的第四架飞机
crashes near Shanksville, Pennsylvania after passengers on board take on the hijackers.
在机上乘客与劫机者激烈搏斗后坠毁于宾夕法尼亚州的尚克斯维尔
We were stunned. We were frozen.
我们震惊了 我们愣住了
And I know in our small community that same feeling of helplessness and hopelessness
我知道在我们的小区里大家的那种无助与绝望的感觉
was replicated out across the United States, coast to coast.
蔓延到了整个美国 全国都是这样
We watched while the fires developed.
我们眼睁睁地看着火势蔓延
It was a horrible event.
太可怕了
But almost no one, certainly no one around me
但是几乎没有人 起码我周围没有人
had any idea that the integrity of the entire towers was at risk.
事先意识到整个双子楼已经岌岌可危