What’s for dinner?
晚餐吃什么?
Well, Avis said she’d be here. Even if we were late.
Avis说她会来车站接我们的 我们都迟到了
Well, if she’s not here, we can take a taxi.
如果她不来,我们就坐的士去
They probably have taxis in Boston.
波士顿应该有的士吧
She’ll be here. Wearing a plaid jacket.
她会来接我们的,她穿了格子外套
That’s how I’m to recognize her.
我能认出她
What do you mean, "recognize her"? Has she changed?
你说啥?认出她? 她变样了吗?
Well...
呃…
"Look for the middle-aged woman in a plaid jacket."
注意一个穿苏格兰呢子外套的中年女性
- So... - You and Avis have never met?
- 哦… - 你们还没有见过面吗?
We’re just pen pals.
我们只是笔友
You don’t know each other?
你们不认识?
Well, we do. We write.
我们当然认识,我们写信交流
But how did you start writing one another?
你们是怎么相识的?
That’s a long story.
这就说来话长了
Avis’ husband, Bernard De Voto, now dead, was a wonderful, wonderful writer.
Avis的丈夫Bernard De Voto 当初是很棒很棒的作家,现在不在了
He wrote an article in Harper’s Magazine all about stainless steel knives
他专为Harper杂志写关于 不锈钢刀的文章
- and how he absolutely detested them. - Yes.
- 写他有多么讨厌它们 - 恩
And so I wrote him a fan letter because he was 100% right
然后我给他写了一封读者来信 支持他的观点
and Avis wrote me back.
后来Avis给我回信了