The meeting is going well for May. She's been offer a chance to work with Mike and become one of his suppliers.Next, they have to work out an understanding. Situations like this are not that uncommon, the buyer is in charge,and he gets to make the rules.That's the way it usually is. In the next part of the negotiation,Mary finds out Mike's ground rules and decides if she can live with the. Even though this sounds like instruction,it is a negotiation.
对梅而言,这次机会进行得很顺利。迈克提供她一次合作的机会,让她成为他的供货商。接下来,他们必须讨论出一些共识。这类情形颇为常见,在这种情形中,买家会主导一切,订定规则。通常情况都是这样。在下面这种谈判情形中,梅为了解迈克的基本原则,她得决定是否接受这些规则。虽然这听起来象是指令,但还是谈判。
Mike:Well,that's why you'r here.
这就是我找你来的原因。
My source for big TV sets overcharged me on the last
shipment,so I need someone new.
我的大型电视供货商,上一次交货时敲了我一笔,所以我现在要找新的供货商。
I wanted to meet you to see if we can work together. I think
we can.
我跟你见面是相看看合作的可能性;我想应该没问题。
May:I agree.
我同意。
Mike:Fine,but before you agree, don't you need to know what
you're agreeing to?
很好,但在同意之前,你难道不想多了解一下,你到底同意了哪些条件吗?
May:I guess you're right.But like you said,you called me here to
check me out. I've been doing the same.
没错,但就像你说的,你打电话叫我过来,是相探探我的底细;当然,我也一样的。
Mike:Ha,ha,ha!That's fair.How did I do?
哈哈!这很公平,我表现得如何?
May:Quite good,actually.
说真的,相当不错。
I'm pretty sure you're demanding,but fair and honest. I feel
we can work together.
我确定你的要求很高,但是很公平、诚实。我想我们可以合作。
Mike:Good,well,here's what I need from you. Are you ready?
很好。我要说明需要你配合的地方了,准备好了吗?
May:Shoot!
请说!
Mike:Well,I know you work for someone else,but as your client,
please,we have to get this straight between us.
我知道你在为别人做事,但身为你的客户,麻烦你,我们必须先把话说清楚。
I'm your client,not your company.
我是你的客户,不是你的公司。
As your client,I expect you to be square with me at all
times. Can you do that?
身为你的客户,我希望你随时对我坦诚,这点你做得到吗?
May:I don't see a problem.
没问题。
Mike:Good!Do you have any questions?
很好!你有问题想问吗?