"Let me help with the washing,mother,’said Tess gently.
“让我帮你洗吧,妈,”苔丝温柔地说。
‘Oh, Tess,I'm glad you've come,’said her mother.‘There's something I must tell you.’
“哟,苔丝,你回来了我真高兴,”她母亲说,“我正有事儿要跟你说呢。”
‘Is it anything to do with father making such a fool of himself this afternoon?’asked Tess,frowning.
“是关于爸爸下午出丑的事儿吗?”苔丝皱着眉头问道。
‘That's all part of the excitement!
“就是那件让人激动的事儿!
They've discovered we're the oldest family in the whole country,going back a long way!
有人发现我们是整个郡里最古老的家族。有好长的历史哩!
And our real name is d’Urberville!Doesn't that make you proud!
我们的真实姓氏是德伯!这不让你觉得骄傲吗?
That's why your father rode home in the carriage,not because he'd been drinking,as people thought.’
你爸爸就是因为这个才乘着马车回家的,可不像人家想的那样,是因为喝醉了酒。”
‘I'm glad of that.Will it do us any good, mother?’
“我很高兴有这么回事儿。这对我们有什么好处吗,妈?”
‘Oh yes!Great things may come of it.
“哦,当然!没准儿能由此产生一些大好事儿呢!
No doubt our noble relations will be arriving in their carriages as soon as they find out.’
毫无疑问,我们那些高贵的亲戚一旦得知此事,就会乘坐马车来看望我们的。”