Something about the smile lurking on Malfoy's face during the next week made Harry, Ron, and Hermione very nervous.
在接下来的一个星期里,马尔福脸上隐藏的不怀好意的笑容使得哈利、罗恩和赫敏非常不安。
They spent most of their free time in Hagrid's darkened hut, trying to reason with him.
他们大部分业余时间都待在海格昏暗的小屋里,对他摆事实讲道理。
Just let him go, Harry urged. Set him free.
“你就让它走吧,”哈利劝道,“把它放掉。”
I can't, said Hagrid. He's too little. He'd die.
“我不能,”海格说,“它太小了,会死掉的。”
They looked at the dragon. It had grown three times in length in just a week. Smoke kept furling out of its nostrils.
他们打量着小龙。短短一个星期,它的长度已经是原来的三倍。一团团的烟从它鼻孔里喷出来。
Hagrid hadn't been doing his gamekeeping duties because the dragon was keeping him so busy.
海格把看守狩猎场的工作撇在了一边,因为小龙弄得他手忙脚乱。
There were empty brandy bottles and chicken feathers all over the floor.
地上扔满了空的白兰地酒瓶和鸡毛。
I've decided to call him Norbert, said Hagrid, looking at the dragon with misty eyes.
“我决定叫它诺伯,”海格用泪水模糊的眼睛看着小龙
He really knows me now, watch. Norbert! Norbert! Where's Mommy?
“它现在真的认识我了,你们看着。诺伯!诺伯!妈妈在哪儿?”
He's lost his marbles, Ron muttered in Harry's ear.
他已经失去理智了,罗恩在哈利耳边嘟囔着。
Hagrid, said Harry loudly, give it two weeks and Norbert's going to be as long as your house.
“海格,”哈利提高了嗓门,“再过两个星期,诺伯就会变得跟你的房子一样长。
Malfoy could go to Dumbledore at any moment. Hagrid bit his lip.
马尔福随时都可能去找邓布利多。”海格咬着嘴唇。
I — I know I can't keep him forever, but I can't jus' dump him, I can't.
“我——我知道我不能永远养着它,可我不能就这样把它扔掉,不能啊。”
Harry suddenly turned to Ron. Charlie, he said.
哈利突然转向罗恩。“查理。”他说。
You're losing it, too, said Ron. I'm Ron, remember?
“你也犯糊涂了,”罗恩说,“我是罗恩,记得吗?”
No — Charlie — your brother, Charlie. In Romania. Studying dragons.
“不——查理——你的哥哥查理。在罗马尼亚,研究龙的查理。
We could send Norbert to him. Charlie can take care of him and then put him back in the wild!
我们不妨把诺伯送给他。查理可以照料它,然后把它放回野生环境里。”
Brilliant! said Ron. How about it, Hagrid?
“太棒了!”罗恩说,“怎么样,海格?”
And in the end, Hagrid agreed that they could send an owl to Charlie to ask him.
最后,海格总算同意他们先派一只猫头鹰去问问查理。