73 An Open-minded Dissertation
一篇思想开放的论文
“I think we can disregard this article,” said John, as he helped Mary prepare materials for her political science dissertation.
“我想我们可以不考虑这篇文章。”约翰说。他在帮玛丽写政治科学论文准备材料。
“The author's dissenting opinions have brought him into disrepute, especially among his peers.”
“这个作者坚持异议,这使他,尤其是在他的同辈学者中,声名狼藉。”
“Wait a minute,” responded Mary.
“等等,”玛丽应声说,
“I don't consider a person to be disreputable just because he is a dissenter.
“我不会因一个人是持不同政见者,就认为他品行不端。
Maybe he did disrupt their traditional thinking, but isn't a little bit of dissonance healthy for the intellectual community?
也许他的确打乱了他们的传统思想,但一点点意见不一致不更有利于知识界的发展吗?
Dissimilar thinking sometimes leads to better ideas and progress.
不同的思维有时会引发更伟大的思想和进步。
Besides, it's not likely that he's been disrespectful to his peers, right?”
此外,好像他并没对他的同辈学人有过失礼之举,是吧?”
“I don't know,” said John.
“我不知道,”约翰说,
“I do know he is a member of a dissident group.
“我只知道他是一个持不同政见者组织的成员。
I have also heard that he leads a dissolute lifestyle, but that is probably just a nasty rumor.
我还听说他生活放荡不羁,但这也许只是恶意的谣言。
Sometimes I see him at the cafeteria near the university.
有时我在大学旁的自助餐厅见到他。
He is always disseminating literature about his opinions.
他总在宣传与他观点有关的文学。
Our professors tell us it's rubbish and try to dissuade us from reading it.”
教授们告诉我们他在胡说八道,并努力劝我们不要读他的作品。”
“Don't you see what's going on?” said Mary with a smile.
“你难道不明白是怎么回事吗?”玛丽笑着说,
“Your professors are trying to keep you from learning new ideas!
“你们的教授在尽力阻止你们接受新思想。
They only call it rubbish to dissemble their real motives.
他们把它说得分文不值就是为了掩盖自己的真正动机。
When all the smoke dissipates, you'll see the truth.”
当所有的烟雾散去时,你会看到庐山真面目的。”
“Really?” replied John.
“真得吗?”约翰回答,
“I can't imagine professor Smith trying to dissimulate her true thoughts, she's usually pretty candid.
“我真想不出史密斯教授在努力隐藏自己真实的思想。通常她是很坦诚的。
So is professor Doe.”
多伊教授也一样。”
“Are you from some distant planet?” asked Mary with a laugh.
“你是从某个遥远的星球来的吧?”玛丽大笑着问,
“Professor Smith dissects plants all day in botany class.
“史密斯教授整天在植物学课上解剖植物,
Professor Doe spends most of his time dissolving chemicals in chemistry class.
多伊教授的大部分时间则花在课上的溶解化学制品。
What could these two professors possibly know about political science?”
关于政治科学这两名教授又能知道些什么呢?”