36 My Job at the Newspaper Company
我在一家报业公司的工作
I work as the editor of a small newspaper.
我在一家小报社当编辑。
Our offices and printing presses are located on the grounds of an old citadel that has been standing since the days of the Civil War.
我们报社的办公室和印刷设备位于一座内战时修建的古老城堡里。
The rent here is relatively cheap.
这里的租金相对便宜,
However, the facilities are rather old and we're constantly making repairs to the electrical circuits in our building.
但设施陈旧,我们时常要维修楼里的电路。
According to our circulation desk, we circulate about 10,000 papers each day.
根据发行处的统计,我们每天发行的报纸1万份。
If I were to draw a circle around our circulation area, the circumference would be about 15 miles.
如果围绕这发行范围画一个圈,周长将达15英里左右。
Ours is a civilian company.
我们报社是一家民营企业。
However, due to our location, the military has the right to circumscribe the content of our newspaper.
但由于位置特殊,军队有权限制报纸的内容。
For that reason, I'm a bit circumspect about the articles that we publish.
正因为这样,我对所发表的文章非常谨慎。
I try to print the news without being too critical of the government, the military or the people in power.
我尽量印些不是特别批判政府、军队及当权者的新闻。
Today, I'm thinking about running a story about lawyers.
今天,我在考虑出一篇关于律师的文章。
Lawyers have been around since the start of civilization.
自人类文明起源时就有了律师。
They are credited for writing the first civil code and the bill of civil rights.
他们被誉为第一部民法典和公民权议案的撰写人。
However, they are disliked for their circuitous manner of speaking and their ability to circumvent the law by citing obscure legal doctrines.
但因为他们说话爱绕圈子,又有本市引用晦涩难懂的法律条文来规避法律约束,所以很是不讨人喜欢。
They always make circular arguments to avoid the issue.
涉足政界的律师尤其擅长拐弯抹角地讲话。
Some lawyers are kind and helpful.
他们总是循环论证,避开主题。
Others are known for their lack of civility.
有些律师挺和善而且乐于助人的,其他律师则以没有礼貌著称。
A lot depends on the circumstances and how much money you have.
很多律师是为视具体情况及财富多寡而转移的伪君子。
Perhaps a story about lawyers might be too controversial.
也许关于律师的文章争议太大,
I'd better think of a more agreeable subject.
我还是想个更愉快的话题吧!